Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Calculators Section

Ian

Administrator
Aug 23, 2006
I've been thinking of ways that we could improve Electronics Point and thought that having a calculators section would be a good idea. This would allow beginners (and the lazy ;)) to quickly calculate common formulae online.

Do you have any suggestions for things that would be appropriate to add, as I'm going to start work on some this week?

Ones that spring to mind so far are:

• Resistor colour code calculator - choose the colours and it will show the resistance + tolerance.
  • Ohms Law - V = I * R, etc...
  • 555 Timer Calculator - astable time calculation, a common beginner circuit.
If you think of anything else that would be handy, please let me know, as I'm sure there are lots of others that would be useful :D

Mitchekj

Jan 24, 2010
How about a 'resistance per foot/meter/inch/whathaveyou of different gauge wire + current carrying capacity, etc.'?

Ian

Administrator
Aug 23, 2006
How about a 'resistance per foot/meter/inch/whathaveyou of different gauge wire + current carrying capacity, etc.'?

Good idea! I'll add this to the list too :)

NickS

Apr 6, 2010
I like to make calculators in matlab for common(to me) calculations I keep needing. I like to divide them up into subsections. For instance I have been using high frequency calcs pretty regularly such as

(High Frequency)
- Resistive Pad(attenuator)
- Cascaded noise figure
- noise temp to noise figure
- Lumped element power divider(dir coupler)
- VSWR
- skin depth
- wavelength
- RLGC for transmission lines
- diode frequency multiplier
- ABCD to S parameter converter/plotter

(General purpose)
- Discrete part values by tolerance
- Colpitts oscillator
- polar/rect coordinant converter

(Filters)
- active inverting
- active non-inverting
- Passive Lumped Elements(LP,HP,BP)
---Butterworth
---Tchebychev
---Bessel
---Composite(M derived, constant-k)

And I was thinking about doing a number system converter(base2, 8, 10, 16) or perhaps an binary interpreter 1's comp, 2's comp, bias...

Some are pretty involved but others are easy.