Connect with us

Calculate switching frequency for IGBTs

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by SACM, Nov 8, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. SACM

SACM

Nov 6, 2012
    Hi,

Is it possible to calculate the max frequency at which an IGBT can operate by the information in the Datasheet?

I'm guessing that is not only by the turn-on and turn-off times, but it has to be with some of charge or current (because the 'tail current') information.

Thanks

2. GreenGiant

GreenGiant

Feb 9, 2012
    with the right circuitry you can theoretically operate them based on turn-on turn-off time but this would be extremely hard to do without spending tons of money on extremely accurate parts.

Usually you wont need anything that fast though, why do you want to get it that fast?

3. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    Start with what your requirements are, then look for a part that meets them.

Bob

4. SACM

SACM

Nov 6, 2012
    I'm designing a power dc dc converter at 80kHz, at first i was designing it with MOSFET. As there are no many mosfets that hold up 1200V and ~150A (values for my design) a was worried about power dissipation, so i started looking for IGBTs.

I know that switching frequency for IGBTs is a lot lower than in MOSFETs, but i was hopping i could find an IGBT that could operate at that frequency.

5. GreenGiant

GreenGiant

Feb 9, 2012
    for those criteria it looks like you will need to break up the voltage and current a little, the highest that I can find that will do 80 kHz only go to somewhere between 600-800V and 50A

Though with synchronization you should be able to use a few to get that to work

Ask a Question