Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Cable that links TV to laptop screen?

jkm11

Jun 27, 2010
Hi, I'm new here and don't know much about electronics... what is the name of the cable that links the TV screen with a laptop screen? How much does it generally cost?
Thanks

rtty21

Jun 25, 2010
it depends... i you have a newer TV, then you can easily connect the two with a vga cable. with older versions of televisions, you may have to go to an electronics shop and discuss your unique situation.

jkm11

Jun 27, 2010
it depends... i you have a newer TV, then you can easily connect the two with a vga cable. with older versions of televisions, you may have to go to an electronics shop and discuss your unique situation.

do vga cables connect to macbook (13 inch) laptops? i dont really see where it could...
i have a newer TV. thanks.

rtty21

Jun 25, 2010
you might have to get a vga to digital video output converter since you have a macbook

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
It might also require a HDMI cable. It all depends on the TV and the laptop. Both need to support the same interface. VGA or HDMI are the most likely options and their costs range from less than $10 to $hundreds.

Cost is often not related to quality.

NickS

Apr 6, 2010
...Cost is often not related to quality.

I use a HDMI to DVI cable to connect my computer to the TV. It cost me $25.

Speaking of overpriced A/V cables there is a lot of hype for instance PEAR will charge you up to 7200 dollars for some cables which are the Kobe beef of wires but there is no way the sampling of a human will be able to tell the difference between this and a decent $50 cable.

Ireland

Jul 5, 2010
I feel obliged to inform you that VGA data is graphics, and it does not generally transmit audio

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I feel obliged to inform you that VGA data is graphics, and it does not generally transmit audio

I think that you could change "generally" to "ever" without fear of contradiction.

Yes, VGA is a "video" cable, HDMI is a "multimedia" cable. The difference is that the latter includes audio (plus a lot more technical differences). A separate audio cable is used (if sound is required) with VGA.

Ireland

Jul 5, 2010
VGA Cable

Yes, I was not sure what the people on here are like, and on a forum discussing computer problems, a particular person would use a contradiction to make little of me, so ever since then, I have been weary of stating something without allowing for a contradiction.