Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Cable size for Dupont connectors?

TTL

Oct 24, 2013
Which AWG size cable is suitable for "Dupont" type connectors, such as these ones below?
40pcs-20cm-dupont-wire-cable-male-female-connector-254mm-fdde63c7-800x800.jpg

sku_145616_3.jpg

I bought a bunch of pre-made cables with connectors (as in the first photo), but the cables are too short for my project, so want to replace them with longer ones (preferrably the ribbon cable type as multiple wires sticking together makes for a neater connection), using the same housings (I also bought a bunch of metal terminals for this).

A quick measurement shows a diameter of approx 1mm. What's that in AWG terms? And if I get a ribbon cable (such as in the first photo), what should the pitch be between each individual wire?

Viliuks

Dec 5, 2015
If your dupont connectors are in one line, the ribbon cable pitch depends on the pitch of the connectors. But if I recall correctly usually the pitch is 2.54mm.
For the wire gauge you probably measured the width of the top section which is tapered, but usually the dupont connectors accept 24AWG (0.51mm/0.2mm^2)

But it would have helped if you provided the links to the products with a datasheet.

Anyone can correct me if I am wrong.

TTL

Oct 24, 2013
Unfortunately I don't have any datasheets -this was all purchased on eBay.

Mouser usually has a good selection of datasheets and I looked up "ribbon cables" which only states two pitch values: 1.27mm (0.05") or 0.635mm (0.025"). I've seen listings for 2mm ribbon cables as well, but I don't know if they're just mistakes. Here are the ribbon cables with Dupont connectors pre-attached I bought from eBay, which states a pitch of 2.54mm, but that doesn't make any sense, does it? It doesn't say anything about the AWG diameter which is why I posted here.

I made a quick decision to buy this cheap 40 way IDC cable from eBay, but might have read the description a bit too quickly as it says the pitch is 1.20mm. Then again they probably meant 1.27mm, but we'll see. I assumed since I couldn't find anything on the AWG diameter anywhere that this would be standard, and the Mouser site states 28AWG for the various IDC cables I've looked up, but you say 24: is that approx. the same as what I measured the individual wires to be (1mm)?

Yes, I measured across one of the individual wires (with insulation and all) -what does "tapered" mean in this context?

Last edited: