Maker Pro
Maker Pro

C&I Practioner

charles101143

Aug 21, 2012
Hi all,
New to this forum: I am a semi retired ( but active lecturer) C&I Engineer.
I am resident in South Africa but travel extensively.
I would be interested in any forum exchanges on my subject field.
I also present courses internationally on a wide range of topics and will provide contact details should anyone be interested,
regards,
Charles Palmer ( Phd, MBa)

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Welcome to our forum, Charles.
We're looking forward to your contributions.

C&I = Control and Instrumentation, right? Would you care to elaborate a bit on what this comprises?

Regards,
Harald

charles101143

Aug 21, 2012
Control and Instrumentation covers the spectrum of measurement Instrumentation, converters, data transfer, automatic control via DCS, ( Distributed Control Systems) or PLC ( Programmable Logic Controllers) or even SCADA (Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition) to the final control device,normally a control valve or other actuated device such as a damper or vane.
It makes extensive use of Electronics at all phases of the loop, and as such, I would be keen to hear from anyone who is involved in the design and/or manufacture of Control And Instrumentation hardware.

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
Hi Charles and welcome to the Electronics Point forums :)

Your experience could be very valuable here, if you're prepared to answer questions and help folks with their control-related projects.

This is not really an intellectual discussion site though; we're mostly hands-on and here to help electronics newbies to make their LEDs flash, or get their automotive product working, or understand op-amps, and to help intermediate-bies to do more interesting stuff, often involving microcontrollers.

I worked for 20 years at a SCADA system company doing electronic design and embedded systems programming, mainly for RTU equipment, but I don't get many chances to discuss analogue acquisition, pulse to rate conversion, serial communication protocols, or any of the other topics that I find interesting. Just so you don't get your hopes up!

I'm sure if you keep watching the forums, you will find threads that will interest you, and to which you can contribute. It's nice to meet you, and thank you for introducing yourself.

charles101143

Aug 21, 2012
Hi there,
With respect sir, I am very much a "hands on " practitioner, having come through the ranks of the practical Diploma system here in South Africa. I worked as a Technician for some 5 years before become an analyzer engineer, specializing in Gas Chromatography amongst others. I still pride myself as being able to strip, repair, re-assemble and calibrate virtually any instrument I am asked to look at.
My degrees came later, when I had time to study at my own cost.

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
Great! Sorry, I didn't mean to cast aspersions on your practical abilities!

I'm sure you'll be a valuable contributor here :)

charles101143

Aug 21, 2012
No sweat Kris, my career just happened in reverse that's all. Great place to find myself as I now lecture all over the world, able to give the practical advice obtained through sweating in an overall that most academics ( I am not one of them) cannot ever deliver.