Connect with us

Bypass capacitor usage

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by prolow, Dec 2, 2016.

1. prolow

prolow

Dec 2, 2016

Attached Files:

2. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    The schematic looks o.k.
    Im wondering, though, why some cpacitors have seeemingly rather long copper traces to connect them to GND or the respective IC pin.
    E.g. CM1: there's, it seems, enough space to the left of Cm2 and the IC pins to place it very near to the IC's pin.

davenn likes this.
  3. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    Agree with Harald bypass (decoupling) caps should be right up close and personal to the IC's they are being used with

4. prolow

prolow

Dec 2, 2016
    Thanks for the reply Kapp.
    I'm not sure I follow though.
    On the top side here, the trace to ground is to a via between the caps to a grounded plane on the bottom side. I could move them right a little to shorten the power trance length to the IC.
    [​IMG]
    Here the trace to ground is to a thru hole which is connected to a grounded plane on the bottom side.
    [​IMG]
    The last one on the bottom side has some space between the caps to fit around the thur holes, otherwise I figured the trace to ground and to the IC were close.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

davenn likes this.
  5. Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
    The power trace between CM1 and CM2 is comparatively long. It can be shortened by putting CM1 to the left of CM2.

The 'module' is probably not critical at all as it will contain its own decoupling capacitors.

Your ground connections are good.I'm sorry if my post made you assume I'd critizise these.

6. prolow

prolow

Dec 2, 2016
  7. Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
    Looks great!

Ask a Question