Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Buzzer to stop my motorbike battery running flat.

Cwodavids

Jul 11, 2013
Hi all,

Firstly, i have very little electronics experience but do possess a brand new £35 multimeter :)

Secondly, I fitted a Tomtom Rider GPS to my Yamaha Fazer 600 (60 plate) with a switch (that has a light) half way along the power cable to ensure I don't drain the battery when I am not using it. I would like to fit either a buzzer that activates when the bike isnt running or open to ideas from others as to how I can stop my battery running flat when I forget to turn the switch off.

Any help greatly appreciated in the form of ideas, advice, links or diagrams.

Dave

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
hi there Dave
welcome to the forums

run the system through the ignition switch
would be the initial obvious answer

Dave

Cwodavids

Jul 11, 2013
hi there Dave
welcome to the forums

run the system through the ignition switch
would be the initial obvious answer

Dave

Sounds great, how do I do that, lol?

I am not an auto electrician, i know how to wire a plug if that helps :)

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
You find a connection to the ignition that is only powered when the key is on, and you use that.

It sounds like Acc (Accessory) power is what you're after. It allows the device to be on without a need for the engine to be running (or at least without the ignition powered up).

Cwodavids

Jul 11, 2013
You find a connection to the ignition that is only powered when the key is on, and you use that.

It sounds like Acc (Accessory) power is what you're after. It allows the device to be on without a need for the engine to be running (or at least without the ignition powered up).

How do i find a wire that is only powered once the ignition is on? How and where do i physically collect the wires?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Find the fuse marked ACC and there you are.

A multimeter will confirm when it is connected to power, check and see if it has power with the ignition key is in appropriate positions.

This is a bike, right? Do they have such a position on the ignition?

Cwodavids

Jul 11, 2013
I will have a look, I am guessing its the red (+) wire that needs connecting to the ACC wire? Where do i connect the other wire to?

Bikes have a similar ignition to a car; its a button to actually start the engine but a ley to turn on ignition.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Cool, assuming -ve earth, then red wire to the ignition and black to ground. Ground is often the chassis. You can use your multimeter to check the voltage between the chassis and the ignition. With the red probe on the acc wire from the ignition (or the fuse) and the black one on the chassis, you should see +12V (or thereabouts).

Best to connect after the fuse so a fault won't melt wiring on your bike. If the GPS has its own fuse even better.

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
Do a Google image search for Yamaha Fazer 600 wiring diagram. There are lots of hits. Find one that you think matches your bike, and trace the supply voltage from the battery through the ignition key switch, and try to find the matching point on your bike. As Steve suggested, it's probably available on a fuse. Connect your device downstream of the fuse so the fuse will protect it.