Connect with us

Buzzer on Raspberry Pi

Discussion in 'Microcontrollers, Programming and IoT' started by john2k, Dec 8, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. john2k

john2k

Jun 13, 2012
    I've managed to work out how to use python and activate either the 3.3v or the 5v GPIO ports on the raspberry pi. For my testing i hooked up a single LED with a resistor to the port. But for my project one of the ports will need a buzzer connected to it.

I've never worked with buzzers and have come across the following one: http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/low-profile-pcb-mounting-buzzer-ku58n

Question is, if i provide a continuous feed of either 3.3v or 5v to the buzzer does that mean the buzzer will beep while the supply live and stop when i turned off the supply? so hence if i wanted a beep beep noise i would command the supply to start stop at an interval?

Also does a buzzer need a resistor like the LED does?

Thanks

2. GreenGiant

GreenGiant

Feb 9, 2012
    It will do what you want, you do not need a resistor, one to the switching output, one to gnd (or return) then switch away and it should buzz.

One thing to note though, it is a PCB mount, meaning it just has 2 short leads coming off of it (8mm), you can find similar ones with 6inch wire leads for use with breadboard or things like that.

Ask a Question