Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Buttons!

zepedrowdp

Nov 29, 2013
Hello everyone!

Do you happen to know where can I find triangle shapped buttons, similar to the ones used here:

Apex1a.jpg

and I don't mean arcade buttons like this:
TRIANGLE_PUSH_BUTTON_SWITCH.jpg

Thanks!

Last edited:

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
the ones in t he top unit will most likely be a single moulded part and manufactured specifically to suit that unit. Remote controls and a zillion other things are done the same way ... ie they are not likely to be individual buttons
and if they are, they will have been designed for the unit

Dave

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Ask this guy here.

He posted a very similar question and got accurate answers. A shame you hadn't found it before starting a new thread.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
LOL Steve,

I didn't remember that he posted the same sort of Q a month or so back :rolleyes:

D

zepedrowdp

Nov 29, 2013
Ask this guy here.

He posted a very similar question and got accurate answers. A shame you hadn't found it before starting a new thread.

If you read the thread you will notice that it's not the same question... I still have the problem and I was trying to avoid that "foil" soluction that we discussed on the older thread.

As I found a very specific example of what I was looking for, I just gave it a try to see if anyone knew anything similar to that.

Anyway, if anyone could point me a reliable company that does that kind of service I'd be grateful.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Presumably you want buttons shaped like arrows.

As far as I am aware, those "foils" are just printed onto some sort of adhesive plastic sheet which is placed on your front panel. Holes in the front panel allow you to push through the plastic onto the button (often, although not always, with something to spread the load so you don't poke holes in the sheet).

Another option is to cut holes of the desired shape in your front panel and place plastic pieces in those holes with something to stop them falling out Pressing on these could actuate the tactile button.

I've been playing with (actually being taught to operate) a laser cutter and I'm thinking how easy this would be if you had access to one. Naturally this method doesn't protect your circuit from the elements.

I've never seen the switches themselves in any format customised for triangular buttons as such.

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
Sounds like a job for a 3D printer. You could design caps for a tact switch like Steve suggested.

Bob

zepedrowdp

Nov 29, 2013
I'm not interested on the DIY solution you proposed the last time Steve.

Don't get me wrong, it may seem pointless for you to be asked a similar question twice but I was just hopping that with an actual visual example, maybe I could find someone that is familiar with this kind of components.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
maybe I could find someone that is familiar with this kind of components.
I think we're all more or less familiar with this kind of component as it is a typical application in remote controls (to name just one example). The problem is that these are custom designed.

How about this? It's not triangular, but has a triangular marking on top. You need the fitting pushbutton as this is only the cap.
Or this. Also a cap where you'lll have to provide the fitting button.

shumifan50

Jan 16, 2014
You could try and make your own membrane style buttons using the silicone that cake decorators use to make moulds for icing. The silicone is maleable for a while, to allow you to shape it, then cures and remains flexible. That way you can mke the switch panel look exactly how you want and put that over a PCB with the switches in the right place. It has the added advantage of making it possible to be splash proof.
Look at this link
Silicon mould making

Sorry, it was only after I posted that I saw you are not interested in DIY solutions. Saadly I think that is the way you will have to go or you will have to have them made specially. It all depends on volume.

Last edited:

zepedrowdp

Nov 29, 2013
I think we're all more or less familiar with this kind of component as it is a typical application in remote controls (to name just one example). The problem is that these are custom designed.

How about this? It's not triangular, but has a triangular marking on top. You need the fitting pushbutton as this is only the cap.
Or this. Also a cap where you'lll have to provide the fitting button.

Those seem interesting! Although, do you know of any reliable company that produces those kinds of custom designed buttons?

shumifan50, thanks for the reply, but as I said, I'm not really interested on a DIY solution :)

gorgon

Jun 6, 2011
I'm not interested on the DIY solution you proposed the last time Steve.

Don't get me wrong, it may seem pointless for you to be asked a similar question twice but I was just hopping that with an actual visual example, maybe I could find someone that is familiar with this kind of components.

The normal way to do this for a project, would be to go to several manufacturer of front panels and get an oversight of different ways to solve this problem.

Asking here would indicate that you want to do this by your self, like any DIY.

The arrows(and the other buttons) on the Picture is either pushing on a contact embedded in a underlying foil, or it is mounted on a small switch on the PCB under the front. The environment it is designed for select the method.

Both solutions are pieces of plastic formed as arrows mounted in holes in the plastic front cover. It could even be that all the buttons are made as a single piece of plastic, extruded With narrow bindings between the different button tops.

shumifan50

Jan 16, 2014
Unless you do some DIY, the only way is to get a company to produce the case and keyboard for you. As even if you find the perfect keypad/keys, you would still need a case to put them in with the correct cutouts and of a size that fits your PCB.
Personally I would produce a prototype that you can show to the manufacturer that has to produce the product and this is best done DIY, even though it might not be perfect.

zepedrowdp

Nov 29, 2013
Ok got it!
Does anyone know a good front panel manufacturer that I can contact?

Thanks for all the answers :)