Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Bus CB audio + data?

hoffmanc

Jul 21, 2012
Retrofitting a Rural Bus System CB Radio Installation

I wonder if I could retrofit an existing bus system's CB system with a linux-based solution? How much would this cost for the base station plus each bus? Would the range be the same as for the existing audio CB?

Thanks.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Ummm... Linux isn't a radio.

Are there CB radios that run Linux (are you planning on setting up a Beorwulf cluster of them?)

If they exist, surely you can check out their specs for yourself.

hoffmanc

Jul 21, 2012
I was thinking some kind of interface card or some such. Maybe it is far fetched.

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
this isn't far fetched. a telephone was used to carry voices, now it carries streams of data. the UHF band for television used to be analog now its digital(that is the same as a computer)
the interface is the issue. how well do you know programming? and electronics?
you need to creat a card for the PC to interface with the CB, then you need a program and drivers to pass information through.
the issue is not "can it be done?", the issue is cost/time and how important?

hoffmanc

Jul 21, 2012
Yeah don't people do this for shortwave already? We're trying to get away from cell phones with GPS and cellphone data plans.

I figured it was already ubiquitous.

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
with the world of arduino and picduino and raspberry pi the way of doing this is getting easier.... if you know how to program, and have a basic grasp on electronics... or a really good internet connection to find other people who have tried this out.
I must point out a few fundamental problems, the first is legally you cannot continually transmit over a public frequency like CB radios. it is to be used for short transmissions so model your design around a short transmission. also have fail safe on the thing, for example hook it up to light on the roof for example or buzzer as gps can be a little inaccurate when you homebrew it.