Connect with us

Burnt Electrode

Discussion in 'Electrical Engineering' started by Al, Oct 13, 2007.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Al

    Al Guest

    Any ideas as to why my son's electric hot water heater electrode burned
    open? It was cathastrophic!

    Go to alt.binaries.schematics.electonic for a view.

    Al
     
  2. Al

    Al Guest

    This one was about a year old. Could the sediment build up that fast?

    Al
     
  3. Maybe someone turned the water supply off, allowed the tank to drain and
    left the power applied to the element. That would burn it out quickly.
    --
    Joe Leikhim K4SAT
    "The RFI-EMI-GUY"©

    "Treason doth never prosper: what's the reason?
    For if it prosper, none dare call it treason."

    "Follow The Money" ;-P
     
  4. Al

    Al Guest

    I think he poster who suggested that the unit was turned on before it
    was filled with water was correct. The fusing would have prevented an
    immediate failure, but the element must have suffered some damage which
    eventually became catastrophic.

    Both elements as well as the controller were replaced just to be safe.
    The symptom was that the hot water temperature had declined. I suppose
    it was running on just one element. And, unfortunately, this all
    happened after the one year warrenty. grrr!

    The water is city water and dunno about the sediment.

    Al
     
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day

-