Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Burnt Component in MacBook Charger Help

Phil77

Apr 22, 2012
My MacBook charger stopped charging when plugged in. I opened the charger and instantly saw the issue. I'm not sure if the part is a ceramic disk capacitor or not. It looks like one. The part is definitely burnt though.

I desoldered the piece and removed it from the circuit board to see if the information was legible. It isn't. What I can make out on the top line is NTC. I can only see part of the first number on the second line. It looks like a 2. I don't know if it is pertinent or not but, the ceramic coating is colored black.

On the circuit board itself where the disk capacitor is/was reads "RTH."

If anybody knows what this part may be, I would greatly appreciate any insight.

In advance, thank you.

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
Pictures are always good...

So is a q-tip dipped in rubbing alcohol and a magnifier glass to see if you can make out anything more on the chip...

Phil77

Apr 22, 2012
Pictures are always good...

So is a q-tip dipped in rubbing alcohol and a magnifier glass to see if you can make out anything more on the chip...

Alas, the camera on my phone blows. Also, the short blew the written portion apart. Literally turned it to dust. The writing was on the ceramic portion that got blown to smithereens. I'll try to upload a picture. I don't think it will help though. Both of the metal "legs" or connectors were so brittle from being burnt out that they fell apart as soon as I desoldered them.

attachment.php

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Always a good move to take a picture before you start pulling stuff apart...

Is there anything written on the board where you removed this part?

Last edited:

Phil77

Apr 22, 2012
Always a good move to take a picture before you start pulling stuff apart...

Is there anything written on the board where you removed this part?

By the way, I did take pictures of everything before I pulled things apart. I'm no dummy. I would hate to go, "Almost done. Why do I have all these extra pieces?"

Last edited:

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010

By the way, I did take pictures of everything before I pulled things apart. I'm no dummy. I would hate to go, "Almost done. Why do I have all these extra pieces?"

OK. It would be nice to see the pictures of the device before you removed it then :)

Preferably include enough f the surrounding board so that we can get some context.

Phil77

Apr 22, 2012
OK. It would be nice to see the pictures of the device before you removed it then :)

Preferably include enough f the surrounding board so that we can get some context.

This is the image of where the burnt component is before I removed it.
attachment.php

This is the image of where the burnt component was after I took out the burnt component. It is within here, right behind where the component was, where you can see the letters printed "RTH"
attachment.php

This is the opposite side of where the component was mounted. This is the side where all of the solder points are. Here you can see where there is still some left-over solder that I have yet to remove. If you have trouble seeing where it was because of the quality, look where the right angle is pointing to. That is the first point. The second point is just to the right and up a little.
attachment.php

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
You might need to try that again.

If you're using the "advanced" panel to attach images, you need to press the upload button and be sure they're not too large.

Phil77

Apr 22, 2012
You might need to try that again.

If you're using the "advanced" panel to attach images, you need to press the upload button and be sure they're not too large.

Yea, that's a little bizzar. I used the same method as I did before. Also, in the preview, the pictures showed up. I did resize the pictures to fit in the forum. I'll try and edit my previous post or just make a new post.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Ok, I found the issue. The web site where I stored the pics isn't displaying the image. I don't have access to the computer that I have them saved on at the moment. I'll have to mess with it later tonigh.

Last edited:

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Ok, I found the issue. The web site where I stored the pics isn't displaying the image. I don't have access to the computer that I have them saved on at the moment. I'll have to mess with it later tonigh.

It's a lot better if you upload them here rather than store them elsewhere. That way you can be sure they'll always be here...