Connect with us

Burning Resistors

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by overture3d, Oct 13, 2012.

1. overture3d

overture3d

Sep 28, 2012
    I am working on a project and am having trouble with the resistors burning out. I am sending about 300 V through a 1K ohm resistor to limit the current. Does anyone know what kind of resistor could take 300 V?

2. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    Resistors are rated in Watts for a reason ;) Volts alone is not your only concern, you have to factor the current as well and do a little basic math to get at the magical Wattage...

Use the appropriate Wattage resistor (plus some headroom) and you should be fine...

3. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    I'd say you need to start looking at 100W resistors.

Since it will be dissipating 90W, you need to make sure it's in free air and away from fingers and other sensitive things (other electronics!) that might not appreciate the heat...

It seems very wasteful unless you're building a bar heater. What are you trying to do?

Ask a Question