Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Burning/Converting VOB files with subtitles to DVD?

TRAPTRAP

Sep 14, 2014
So I've successfully edited my subtitles on DVDSubEdit. (Since my TV solution didn't work on my last topic) Now, I need to know if/ how I can burn them as a VOB (which is what they were when I ripped them from a DVD), or convert them to a file that will retain the subtitles and be able to burn to a DVD Disc.

I've converted the VOB files to MPEG II and MP4's, but the subtitles are gone!

Can anyone help with this?

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Are you familiar with mencoder, or the windows GUI WinMenc?
You can also do what are you asking with VLC, but I am less familiar with this...

Edit: You will be permanently embedding the subtitles into the video stream...
You can pick a font, position, etc, but you will no longer have the ability to disable the subtitles once this is done, unless you play your original DVD

TRAPTRAP

Sep 14, 2014
I've tried VLC earlier, and had a hard time. I'm not TOO familiar with mencoder or GUI WinMenc. Could you give me an idea of how to work with them?

Also, it's fine if they get embedded. What I've got done so far, and my goal is to move the subtitles upward, so they'll fit in-screen when I use ZOOM!

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Winmenc is easier to use than the command line version of mencoder, but it requires .Net 3 framework I think... been a long time since I have formatted my PC...
It's built for mass conversions... so you select one or more 'input' videos to start.
Easiest step is clicking on the 'profile' drop-down and selecting one of the pre-made DVD settings.
Then click on the 'subtitle' tab and pick a font, position, size etc.
Once that's set hit encode and wait.
(the extras tab allows you to select a times to start and end conversion... so you could convert a 30 second clip from mid-way through to test it)

Mencoder will also allow you to directly convert from a DVD.

I am not a fan of their choice of upload locations, as they don't host the file themselves.
http://winmenc.blogspot.ca/

TRAPTRAP

Sep 14, 2014
I'm trying to download that, now. Do you think it'll work with a Windows 8.1?

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
I don't see why not...
It comes in a Zip files, and does not need to be 'installed', but you need to extract is somewhere first.

ramussons

Jun 10, 2014
use "SubRip", a freeware utility to extract the subtitles from vob files.

TRAPTRAP

Sep 14, 2014
The program can't get past my Norton Security, Gryd3. Any more options?

The other option by ramussons; I don't need to make NEW subs, only move UPWARD the ones I already have on my DVD.

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
The GUI is written very crappily with AutoIt I think... The GUI works great though. If Norton is picking it up, it is because the program used to make the GUI is used for lots of other completely custom programs and scripts. I'm sure it's a false positive, but this if your machine, not mine.
Be on the safe side and just leave WinMenc unless you really want to give it another try.
@ramussons posted what appears to be a good solution, but I have not gone through it in detail.

Alternatively, I can post the command line options that WinMenc would use for the video conversion if you want to try mencoder and the windows command prompt.

TRAPTRAP

Sep 14, 2014
I might give that a try.

First, in VLC, which I have, I was able to move the subtitles upward. Can I save from VLC? Possibly to a WMV/AVI/etc. Save it so that it will keep the subtitles in that position?

TRAPTRAP

Sep 14, 2014
That might work. Looks like all I'll need is the VLC command line for moving the subtitles up about 70px?

I'll take the mencoder too, just in case, thanks!

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Looks like VLC has the same options mencoder does to pick font and position.
If that walk-through does it's thing, it will be easier than the mencoder command line, but ill post it anyway.

TRAPTRAP

Sep 14, 2014
The walk through moved the subtitles, but I might need an advanced command line to save the movie with subtitles moved upward.

Theres a box that I have to input something similar to HTTP. When I'm saving to the MP4, I have to go to edit options, where I think is the place to put in the command line.

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
I think this is the last part you need here.
http://rikardo.kinja.com/how-to-hardcode-subtitles-using-vlc-and-rendered-mp4-fi-1438028334 said:
Final Rendering:

Now we are ready to re-render the video with subtitles. This will read your original MP4 as an input file, read your SRT file with its timings, and burn the subtitles into a new MP4 file. The result will be a smaller, subtitled file with the same quality as the original. In my test, I completed the second render in 10% of the time as the first render out of Sony.

Select: Media...Convert/Save
(Add) The file name of your video file (MP4)
(Check) Use a subtitles file
(Browse) to the file name of your subtitles file (SRT)

Select: Media...Convert/Save; Click on downarrow;
Select Convert
...Key in Destination file
...Select tool icon from Settings—Profile
Select Subtitles tab
Check "Overlay subtitles on video"
Select 'Save' (this setting will be remembered for future renders)

Select 'Start' (I use the default H.264 + MP3) settings.

It is fast. A 30 render in Vegas with multiple m2ts file taking about 30 minutes, was re-rendered in 4 minutes and produced a 500MB MP4 file.