Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Building an Atari 2600

EK61

Jan 5, 2014
Possible?

I looked at the motherboard circuit diagram and it looks maybe do-able. It will obviously take a while and a few components.

Obviously any custom Atari made ICs will be a problem. However I located a TIA pulled from an Atari on Ebay.

I'd just like to know if there are any significant problems with this idea before I order components or anything. (It'll be a while, I have a few things to do)

Old Steve

Jul 23, 2015
No offense, but I think you're biting off more than you can chew, after seeing your other thread earlier. You should start out with more simple projects until you learn a little more about basic electronics, then work up to a project like this. It's not really a beginner project.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
When my kids started-out on early video game systems,they had to adapt to the joytick provided.
I didn't like some of the designs, and made-up larger arcade-style ones for them to use.
Instead of trying to build a 2600 from scratch, why don't you look into building a joystick for a system that you like better than the original.
Jus a thought along the lines of your idea.
I never had schematics, I'd take the original joystick apart, and reverse-engineer it to make my own.

Old Steve

Jul 23, 2015
The fun's definitely in the building. I have heaps of things here that I could have bought cheaply, but preferred to make. I considered suggesting removing the pots from the joystick and fitting switches directly earlier.
That could be a good project, but the 2600 is bound to lead to disappointment and an unfinished project. I wouldn't take it on myself. ;)

EK61

Jan 5, 2014
Oh ok. The reason I was clueless in the other thread was where I had to make up my own part for the circuit. I'm fine when it comes to following a diagram already drawn. When I get to the joystick (in the other thread) it will be just following the NES schematics for the controller, so we'll see how that goes (it involves printing a circuit board myself too.)

It doesn't look toooo difficult...
Atari-4-Switch-Woody-007-Motherboard.JPG

It's mainly a lot of resistors really. Most of it looks fairly simple.

I've soldered plenty of kits before and don't remember making any mistakes. This looks on roughly the same scale but just a larger board with more components. The NES controller will be a good test of printing a board and finding components. If that goes well do you still think it would be too difficult?

Old Steve

Jul 23, 2015
I haven't checked the parts numbers yet, I'm busy on something else, but I wouldn't be too surprised if at least one of those large, multi-pinned chips is pre-programmed. Are you going to be able to get hold of them? And can you make a PCB for the job?

If you really intend going ahead with this, if I were you I'd check on those chips first, to see if:
a. Any are pre-programmed
and
b. Can you get them.

My guess is that they're programmed micro and/or ROM chips. Note the two crystals in the vicinity.

As I said, this is a big project for a beginner.

EK61

Jan 5, 2014
Well, I'm a total novice at designing my own circuits, but not completely inexperienced at soldering from a schematic.

I will check to see if I can get all the components before I try this, then I will buy then all too before beginning.
I may not be able to do this though because of the pre-programming. I seem to be able to find each of the 3 ICs on Ebay from actual Ataris or designed for Atari. I assume they should be ready to go? I will of course use DIP sockets just in case.

Old Steve

Jul 23, 2015
Well, I'm a total novice at designing my own circuits, but not completely inexperienced at soldering from a schematic.

I will check to see if I can get all the components before I try this, then I will buy then all too before beginning.
I may not be able to do this though because of the pre-programming. I seem to be able to find each of the 3 ICs on Ebay from actual Ataris or designed for Atari. I assume they should be ready to go? I will of course use DIP sockets just in case.
Those chips aren't 'designed for Atari' They're standard CPUs. The listing I linked to said "used in 2600s". It didn't say that they're already programmed for one. (They might be, though, if you're lucky.)
And can you make the PCB? This isn't the sort of circuit you can build by 'rats nesting'.

Edit: Can you post a copy of your schematic?

Last edited:

davenn

Sep 5, 2009

Before you buy any of the components, you will need to see if there is a PCB manufacturer that can make the board for you
You will need full gerber files for the board showing all layers. There are at least 2 layers, top and bottom and there may well be another one or 2 embedded within the fibreglass
cant remember, its been 20 + years since I repaired Atari and Commodore computers.
There's no way you will make the board at home ... it will have to be commercially made

Dave

Old Steve

Jul 23, 2015
Before you buy any of the components, you will need to see if there is a PCB manufacturer that can make the board for you
You will need full gerber files for the board showing all layers. There are at least 2 layers, top and bottom and there may well be another one or 2 embedded within the fibreglass
cant remember, its been 20 + years since I repaired Atari and Commodore computers.
There's no way you will make the board at home ... it will have to be commercially made

Dave
I thought it might have been only double-layer. If it has internal layers, it will be near impossible to trace, too. Forgot about the schematic. :D

I'd still like to see that.

EK61

Jan 5, 2014
Oh I see. The TIA and the 6532 appear ripped from Ataris, but the 6507 looks brand new. (The ones I found anyway) I won't be making this, if I do, for a while, so I might look more into ICs then. The ones on ebay may have changed by then anyway.

For the board I will just try to copy the actual motherboard as best I can. There are plenty of pictures of it on the internet. The NES controller project will give me a good idea, I think, of how hard/easy making a board will be. There could be a few projects in between the NES controller and this, depending on how well/disastrous the controller project goes. I have a Sega Master System with only one controller, so maybe I'll try making a second one at some time.

These projects will be weekend only I think for the next year or so with school. I may not get to this project until late 2016. I would however like to know now if it is possible, and have plenty of time to think it over. Thinking is the most important part of any project.

Oh I just read the last two posts. So probably not possible then.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
For the board I will just try to copy the actual motherboard as best I can. There are plenty of pictures of it on the internet. The NES controller project will give me a good idea, I think, of how hard/easy making a board will be

do you understand that MOST of the holes on the PCB are plated through holes ( connects the track/pad on the top with the track/pad on the bottom layer) ?
you cant do that at home ... can only be done by a PCB manufacturer

Old Steve

Jul 23, 2015
It's good that you have ambition, but you asked if there are any significant problems. Now you know. Forget this idea. It would make an experienced designer cringe.

I hope your NES controller, whatever that is, is something far easier. Hopefully it won't need a fancy board or pre-programmed chips.

EK61

Jan 5, 2014
Ok thanks. Glad I posted this now. The NES controller (which is actually for an Atari Flashback, which is internally an NES with built in games and no cartridge port, even the controllers are compatible with NES) project is just a 16 pin IC with 10 resistors and some press switches, so should be simple.

Old Steve

Jul 23, 2015
Ok thanks. Glad I posted this now. The NES controller (which is actually for an Atari Flashback, which is internally an NES with built in games and no cartridge port, even the controllers are compatible with NES) project is just a 16 pin IC with 10 resistors and some press switches, so should be simple.
That sounds much better. A good project, by the sound of it.
You'll learn a lot on that one, and have a much better chance of succeeding. You might want to do a running pictorial commentary of it in the 'Project Logs' section. Then you'll be able to get help along the way as needed.
Good luck with it.

EK61

Jan 5, 2014
Thanks. I will do that. You probably won't see it just yet though. Rather busy at the moment.