Connect with us

Building AC-DC converter

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by dan tyson, Aug 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Scroll to continue with content
  1. dan tyson

dan tyson

Jul 16, 2016
    Helloo pals can you help me build a dc power supply on my breadboard to power it for my projects

2. hevans1944

hevans1944 Hop - AC8NS

Jun 21, 2012
    It would be better, for reliability, to build a dc power supply on its own circuit board and connect it to your breadboard with jumper wires. Maybe even put it in a little box with a power cord, fuse, power-on indicator light (or LED), and 5-way binding posts for output connections. What voltage or voltages do you want, and how much maximum current will you require? Is there some reason not to purchase something online from an eBay vendor rather than building a breadboard kludge? How much money do you expect to spend building your power supply? Where will you obtain the parts you need?

davenn likes this.
  3. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    agreed
    And it would be much safer, unless you have lots of experience, to buy a suitably rated plugpack

The fact you have to ask for help to build a PSU suggests you really don't have enough experience to be working with mains voltage projects

we are all interested in your safety ... we don't want to see you zap yourself because you don't know what you are doing

Dave

hevans1944 likes this.
  4. dan tyson

dan tyson

Jul 16, 2016
    Thanks for the information,
    but shoping online here in Ghana is limited to the high class personalities and local electronics shops are also much concentrated in repairs making finding simple circuits difficult but as for the components they have it because of the repairs, this made me wanting to start challenging myself with this.
    And dont you think i will also learn after exploding some stuffs?

5. dan tyson

dan tyson

Jul 16, 2016
    Besides i've read a lot about it but advice's are also needed from experience people like you

6. hevans1944

hevans1944 Hop - AC8NS

Jun 21, 2012
    I agree 100% with this. Newbies need to confine their learning experiences to low voltages, typically produced by batteries or, as you suggested, plugpacks or wall-warts, but even these can be dangerous if not properly constructed. I can appreciate the frustration that @dan tyson must be experiencing if "shopping online here in Ghana is limited to the high class personalities" if that means he has neither the funds nor a shipping address at which to receive parts. An electronics repair shop might be a good place to find not only parts but a mentor willing to help him understand electronics.

Well, I learned some of what I know that way, but I can hardly recommend it.

While still a teenager, I once exploded a pair of series-connected, metal-encased, hermetically sealed, electrolytic capacitors that were assembled together between two aluminum plates, secured with four long screws holding the plates together and threaded directly into one of the plates. This was a "military surplus" component packaged that way for who-knows-what purpose. I applied too much voltage to "charge" this thing. It literally exploded, right next to me and a buddy, a few seconds after I applied power. Fortunately no one was injured by the flying debris, but I did learn a lesson about fooling around with things I poorly understood. You should learn from my example and NOT by "exploding some stuffs".

I suggest that a moderator close this thread.

dan tyson likes this.
  7. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    having things explode in your face, causing blindness and other bad injuries doesn't help you in any good way

agreed

@dan tyson please find someone to directly mentor you to ensure you are learning in a safe way

Dave

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
    dan tyson likes this.
Ask a Question