Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Building a very basic project but need help

Jeffrey Goudreau

Feb 4, 2016
Hey guys. I want to build a really tiny LED light for a project. I need help to understand what kind of materials are available and where to get them.

I want to create a circuit that switches the LED off and on. either a pre determined timed switch or one that has a tiny dip switch to adjust the frequency. Is there something like that in existence? and if so is it thin and small and where would I get something like that?

Also what kind of flexible conductor would you use for this. The application for the LED is being put on a device that will be flat and will often get wet. So I am trying to figure out something that I can insulate the conductor and keep it from getting wet and cut.

Any suggestions would be awesome and appreciated. I am new to the world of electronics. This is a basic application that I hope will work and get me to play more with stuff like this.

Thanks for your time.
Jeff

Colin Mitchell

Aug 31, 2014
All flashing LEDs contain a microcontroller. Just get one and change the timing to flash the LED on and off.

mgrass

Sep 25, 2011
Not really sure what the LED is for, but for a quick and dirty thingy with a flashing LED...there are so many little things that have flashing LED. Lapel pins, Mardi Gras beads, LED Christmas necklaces, LED rings......
Just take one of them and hack it. If you want to get fancy program an Arduino pro mini. They have a 3 and a 5v version. You can program it to do just about anything. One of the basic first example programs is to flash an LED. The pro mini actually comes with a blinking program loaded. Just apply power and the on board LED flashes 1 sec on, 1 sec off. If that works for you just solder ground and vcc wires to the pro mini, dunk it in epoxy (or spray with varnish)...when cured (or dried) add a 2013 button cell and a switch. This is the 3v version http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hot-Mini-AT...919700?hash=item1c5e76ab54:g:utwAAOSwT6pVrNF1 $2.11