Connect with us

Bucking voltages

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Jon amborn, Dec 13, 2015.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Jon amborn

    Jon amborn

    Dec 4, 2015
    Ok not sure where to post this. In my studies they briefly talked about bucking voltages, i understandthe concept and all but are they actually practical to use in real life and where would you use them?. Wouldnt it be easier and more effiecient to use the correct size voltage to begin with?
  2. dorke


    Jun 20, 2015
    Very much so, used in DC Switching Power Supplies (SMPS) and transformers.
    Yes, if you already have them, but if you don't...;)
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2015
    Jon amborn likes this.
  3. Jon amborn

    Jon amborn

    Dec 4, 2015
    Thank you for the reply, it does make a lil more sense now that i understand where its used, and some practical uses,, anyone else feel free to chime in. I love learning everything i can ☺
  4. Ratch


    Mar 10, 2013
    You get a "bucking" voltage when you energize a capacitor. As the charge builds up on one plate, it depletes on the opposite plate. This charge imbalance produces a voltage across the capacitor which opposes the applied voltage, and reduces the energizing current caused by the applied voltage.

    You get a "bucking" voltage when you energize a coil. As the current increases in the coil, a voltage appears across the coil which opposes and reduces an increase of current in the coil.

  5. Jon amborn

    Jon amborn

    Dec 4, 2015
    Thanks for the infomation, i never considered that, granted im only in the begining of my program and they only used voltage sources as examples
  6. davenn

    davenn Moderator

    Sep 5, 2009
    Hi Jon,
    welcome to EP :)

    you just mentioned 1 of 2 types of regulators. The other is a boost regulator

    They are used in just about every piece of electronics imaginable
    TV, DVD, VCR, computer, cameras, mobile phones etc etc

    often multiple power rails are needed in a bit of gear, so a different regulator is used to supply a stabilised voltage for each power rail there is
    eg ... the main DC voltage out of the rectifier may be say, 24VDC, and we need several down conversions to supply an 18VDC, 12VDC and say a 5VDC rails
    so there is 3 buck converters in just that one bit of gear

    ohhh and I moved the thread to somewhere more appropriate :)

  7. BobK


    Jan 5, 2010
    Where is it used? In each of the 100 or so cellphone / tablet / computer / whatever chargers that litter your home (if you are like me.)

Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day