Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Bucking voltages

Jon amborn

Dec 4, 2015
Ok not sure where to post this. In my studies they briefly talked about bucking voltages, i understandthe concept and all but are they actually practical to use in real life and where would you use them?. Wouldnt it be easier and more effiecient to use the correct size voltage to begin with?
Thanks

dorke

Jun 20, 2015
"Are they actually practical to use in real life and where would you use them?"

Very much so, used in DC Switching Power Supplies (SMPS) and transformers.
"Wouldn't it be easier and more efficient to use the correct size voltage to begin with?"

Yes, if you already have them, but if you don't...;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Jon amborn

Dec 4, 2015
Thank you for the reply, it does make a lil more sense now that i understand where its used, and some practical uses,, anyone else feel free to chime in. I love learning everything i can ☺

Ratch

Mar 10, 2013
Ok not sure where to post this. In my studies they briefly talked about bucking voltages, i understandthe concept and all but are they actually practical to use in real life and where would you use them?. Wouldnt it be easier and more effiecient to use the correct size voltage to begin with?
Thanks

You get a "bucking" voltage when you energize a capacitor. As the charge builds up on one plate, it depletes on the opposite plate. This charge imbalance produces a voltage across the capacitor which opposes the applied voltage, and reduces the energizing current caused by the applied voltage.

You get a "bucking" voltage when you energize a coil. As the current increases in the coil, a voltage appears across the coil which opposes and reduces an increase of current in the coil.

Ratch

Jon amborn

Dec 4, 2015
Thanks for the infomation, i never considered that, granted im only in the begining of my program and they only used voltage sources as examples

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
but are they actually practical to use in real life and where would you use them?. Wouldnt it be easier and more effiecient to use the correct size voltage to begin with?

Hi Jon,
welcome to EP :)

you just mentioned 1 of 2 types of regulators. The other is a boost regulator

They are used in just about every piece of electronics imaginable
TV, DVD, VCR, computer, cameras, mobile phones etc etc

Wouldn't it be easier and more efficient to use the correct size voltage to begin with?

often multiple power rails are needed in a bit of gear, so a different regulator is used to supply a stabilised voltage for each power rail there is
eg ... the main DC voltage out of the rectifier may be say, 24VDC, and we need several down conversions to supply an 18VDC, 12VDC and say a 5VDC rails
so there is 3 buck converters in just that one bit of gear

ohhh and I moved the thread to somewhere more appropriate :)

Dave

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
Where is it used? In each of the 100 or so cellphone / tablet / computer / whatever chargers that litter your home (if you are like me.)

Bob