Connect with us

Bubble bar/wall - not a air stone

Discussion in 'Electronic Basics' started by James Varga, Nov 2, 2004.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. James Varga

    James Varga Guest

    Okay - I've got a home made bubble etch tank that I think is pretty
    effective. That is until the other day when the bubbles started to stop. It
    seems that my airstone which I thought would work fine - doesn't :) - its
    almost completely disolved sitting at the bottom of the tank.

    I was going to make a bubble bar out of a series of small holes in some pvc
    pipe but when doing some searching I found a reference to a 'bubble bar' -
    anyone know where I can pick up this sort of thing in the UK?

  2. biggles

    biggles Guest

    you could try an aquarium shop in particular one that deals with marine fish
    (salt water)
  3. steamer

    steamer Guest

    --Etching, eh? What liquids must the thing survive? I'm thinking
    you might want to use stainless. IIRC there are some widgets available at
    pneumatic supply places, basically "mufflers" for noisy exhaust ports on
    air motors, etc; these are a sort of porous metal. Not sure if they'd work
    for your app but you might see if they're available in corrosion
    resistant metals.
  4. James Varga

    James Varga Guest

    --Etching, eh? What liquids must the thing survive? I'm thinking
    Stainless wouldn't work - pretty much any plastic would be okay. The etching
    solution is ferrich chloride which is an acid. I have been trying to think
    of some ways of making this other then drilling a lot of holes into a pc of
    tubing and was wondering if some plastic mesh (like mosquito netting) would
    work rolled up into a tube. There would have to be lots of layers but would
    this give the effect I'm looking for?

    I would like quite a bit of air if possible.

  5. James Varga

    James Varga Guest

    tubing and was wondering if some plastic mesh (like mosquito netting)
    Also - do you think some breathable nylon fabrich would work?
  6. Captain Rick

    Captain Rick Guest

    Try one of the white ceramic airstones, available in 1cm diameter
    (ish) and 4, 6 or 8 inches long. I have used one of these in ammonium
    persulfate etchant for a few years and it is still OK.

    I also find that it gives more, finer bubbles than the cheaper blue
    sandy ones.

    Feeding it from a good pressure pump (I have a small Fisher laboratory
    pump) makes the etchant foam - works really well and gets into all the
    gaps. Watch it doesn't foam over the top though.

  7. Clint Sharp

    Clint Sharp Guest

    James, you can buy something like you intended to make from some
    aquarium shops, it usually comes with little sucker-posts to hold it in
    place in the aquarium and is about 2 foot in length.
  8. Steve

    Steve Guest

    Aquarium shops sell "bubble bar" its a plastic foam pipe perforated to let
    the air out. I seen it in 6" - 18" lengths

Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day