Maker Pro
Maker Pro

BT150 Thyristor equivalent(BT151) has just exploded !!!

Elecbegginner

Mar 24, 2013
I made abig boob when I suggested limiting current with a car headlight bulb. I thought you were running at 12V

To check the motor, put a filament bulb (mains) in series to limit the current.
To check the thyristor, use a light bulb as a load.

It looks as if you have a dead motor. What sort is it? Does it contain brushes running on a commutator?
Is there any connection across the input terminals? If not, then turn the motor by hand and see if there is an intermittent connection.

The thyristor works by chopping the sine wave so that the average power is reduced. The output voltage measured will depend on the way the meter works.
The problem is that the motor that i checked the previous card with is working fine , but on this card i get very weird output voltages , i am suspecting the Thyristor is not working as it should be .
And what is more weird is that the motor does not turn even with for example 189 volts at output .

Elecbegginner

Mar 24, 2013
Ok guys after analysing the card with DMM , i found a bad resistor , i changed it but nothing has changed in the output voltage i still get 180 volts at the lowest speed position.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
As has been suggested. Connect a light globe in place of the motor and see if it dims appropriately.

Elecbegginner

Mar 24, 2013
Hi everybody , i connected the filament bulb , and here is what i see :
First of all i have 6 positions to chose from and the pulse position , i only see light in the pulse and the last 2 positions . the 1,2,3,4 are not working .

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
It sounds like the fault in your motor may have taken out more than just the SCR.

Time to start looking for more damaged components...

Perhaps you could start with some sharp pictures (we recommend indirect light like that in shade outdoors, NOT flash or direct sunlight). We will need to be able to read the writing on components. Images of both sides of the board are often useful.

Elecbegginner

Mar 24, 2013
Yes that's what i think , i have already found one bad resistor before testing with the bulb , i will check for more and see where this goes .

Elecbegginner

Mar 24, 2013
One more thing guys i just want to know how to make a check circuit for the thyristor , i want to make sure its working .

CDRIVE

Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3
May 8, 2012
This is the point where we usually request some clear photos of the device and PCB. ;)

Chris

CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
One more thing guys i just want to know how to make a check circuit for the thyristor , i want to make sure its working .

This is a logic level SCR so you can try this simple test.

Place your DMM on Diode Check
Connect the Red (+) probe to the Anode.
Connect the Black (-) probe to the Cathode.
Using a jumper short the Anode to the Gate momentarily.

The SCR should fire and the meter should drop to near zero and remain so until disconnected.

Alligator jumpers will help.

Chris

CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
If you want something more permanent you could put this together.

Chris

Attachments

• ScrTester.JPG
    ScrTester.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 12,437
Last edited:

Elecbegginner

Mar 24, 2013
OK guys i checked two types of Triacs before checking the Thyristor , and i found a conductivity between gate and terminal using diode test mode , is that a sign of faulty triac ???

CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
Yes that's nice schematic , thanks
Your welcome.
And would this circuit work also with triacs ???
As is it will test a Triac in only one direction. I'll draw up another print for you.
OK guys i checked two types of Triacs before checking the Thyristor , and i found a conductivity between gate and terminal using diode test mode , is that a sign of faulty triac ???

You're confusing me. The BT150 is an SCR.

Chris

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Elecbeginner, an SCR and a Triac are both thyristors, but SCRs and Triacs are different. (Like a car and a bus are both vehicles, but a car is not a bus)

Elecbegginner

Mar 24, 2013
Elecbeginner, an SCR and a Triac are both thyristors, but SCRs and Triacs are different. (Like a car and a bus are both vehicles, but a car is not a bus)

Your welcome.

As is it will test a Triac in only one direction. I'll draw up another print for you.

You're confusing me. The BT150 is an SCR.

Chris

Thanks steve for this new information.
CDRIVE , i don't really know if its ok to put this here or create another topic but its in the same subject .

Well i have some coffee expresso machines that come with two TRIACS a BT131 and a BT139 , i wanted to test them too , so i googled and the way to check them is similar to thyristors , the difference is that TRIACS conduct both ways .

So my question is about the jumper for the triac : am i supposed to connect the gate with a specific anode (anode 1 or anode 2) ?

CDRIVE

May 8, 2012

Attachments

• TriacTest(DMM).JPG
    TriacTest(DMM).JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 416
Last edited:

Elecbegginner

Mar 24, 2013
Thanks for this useful test circuit , i will do a bunch of tests on my SCRs and get back here :D

Elecbegginner

Mar 24, 2013
Thanks to the pictures given by CDRIVE i checked the thyristorsi got and also all triacs , and they are all working good , as for the output voltage variation problem , am sure there is something wrong with card , i will try to put high quality shots for you guys to see it clearly .