Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Broken server RAM gold plating

Jayden downes

Jul 10, 2017
Hey, so I'm new to the forum sorry if this post is in the wrong place or something but I have a question, so I have multiple servers (basically high power computers) and accasionally parts break and need replacing, one item that I replace a lot is Ram, the gold pins on the ram chips constantly come off or spark when being replaced resulting in the pins being damaged and no longer being able to be used (images attached), so my question is, is it possible to repair the gold contacts and how would I go about doing it.
Thanks in advance,
Best regards,
Jayden

Attachments

• IMG_5659.JPG
    IMG_5659.JPG
    198.4 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_5663.JPG
    IMG_5663.JPG
    313.3 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_5665.JPG
    IMG_5665.JPG
    206.2 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_5669.JPG
    IMG_5669.JPG
    219.6 KB · Views: 65

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
"...spark when being replaced" :eek:

Seriously? You're replacing them with POWER APPLIED?????

Either way, the receptacle for such RAM devices is practically zero-insertion (ok, a wiping contact but generally inserted at an angle then clipped upright into the holding arms) so I can only assume you're using the completely wrong technique for removal/insertion.

Either way, you can't fix the issue.

Reactions: Ian

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
Looks like severe over-heating caused failure of the bond of the pcb track to the substrate. Not surprising if you're hot-plugging/unplugging the RAM!! What a mess.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
that I replace a lot is Ram, the gold pins on the ram chips constantly come off or spark when being replaced resulting in the pins being damaged and no longer being able to be used (images attached),

holy crap ... you have to be joking !!!

as kellys-eye said ....

Seriously? You're replacing them with POWER APPLIED?????

so my question is, is it possible to repair the gold contacts and how would I go about doing it.

you have killed them and will have to buy replacements

and for heavens sake power the unit down before replacing