Connect with us

Broken PC PSU - Capacitor burnt

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by Nooby213, Jun 20, 2011.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Nooby213

Nooby213

Jun 20, 2011
    hey guys first post :D

ok so my psu just messed up one time when i turned my comp on, the comp went off almost like it shorted out, the lights faded away and a disgusting stench start coming out. So ive taken my psu appart and found the culprit, its one of those blue cap capacitors, unfortunately i cant read much of the writing on it since its broken in half (it had cracked from where it started burning), so the information i can get off of it is - F 1.0 (cant read the rest might be another 0 or 5, really not sure) then it says ND 250 (again not sure about the rest, i thought there was another 0, but after some reasearch it might just be a v, 250v sort of thing) and underneath that it says 0237. That about all it says on it, i tried typing it into google but i cant find it. So yeh i needed help in locating a new one, and also wanted to know whether there was any reason that it caught on fire, the psu is over 10 years old so i thought it could just have been because of wear and tear, but expert opinions are needed since as my name goes, im a complete noob :p

oh sorry about spelling the title wrong :p

2. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    hi nooby
    Welcome

too much guessing to be done there ;)
    how about posting some sharp pic's of the insides of the PSU and close ups of the cap in question. Are there any others the same in there that could be checked for their value ?

cheers
    Dave

3. Resqueline

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
    Sounds like a mains filter capacitor, 1.0uF 250V~ (X2 class). What mains voltage is the supply made for? A pic of the guts would help verify the cap's function. Fixed title.

Ask a Question