Connect with us

Broken Capacitor

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by gorr35, Dec 29, 2010.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. gorr35

gorr35

Dec 29, 2010
    I desoldered and removed a capacitor from my tv's power supply board only to find out that the cap was cracked at the bottom, so when I pulled out the cap, the leads remained stuck inside the PCB holes. No amount of heating them with the soldering iron will get them loose. Any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    OK, I can't see any leads in the holes, but I can't see enough to say they're not.

Hands up who thinks I need to do a sticky post titled "How to tell if your photo is blurry".

Is your problem that you can't clean the solder out of the holes? If so, a "solder sucker" or "solder wick" is the answer.

If you can't melt the solder, this is because one of the following is true:

1) Soldering iron is not hot enough. Maybe this board uses a higher melting point solder than you're used to (turn it up -- if temperature is adjustable)
    2) Soldering iron has insufficient power due to a large groundplane etc drawing away heat (get a bigger soldering iron - or turn it up a bit more)

I hope this helps.

3. gorr35

gorr35

Dec 29, 2010
    I'm sorry about the blurry picture....and to answer the question, no there is no solder in the holes, the solder melts fine. The leads are stuck in there and sticking through the bottom side, all the solder has been taken off using a wick, getting the broken leads out of the holes is the issue. I tried gripping the leads from the bottom with small pliers while heating them with the iron but they won't budge.

4. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    You may need to add more solder to get good enough heat transfer to melt the solder all the way through the hole.

5. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    When you add solder to get the joint liquified, use a needle of some type, and push
    the broken leads from the top of the PCB, through the hole and out the bottom where
    most of the lead is visible.
    Some mfgrs crimp the component lead on the top side, so it stays in place when they
    solder-flow the bottom of the boards. I doubt this happened on your TV set, but it might
    account for your issue.

6. olfogie1

olfogie1

Jan 2, 2011
    As a worst case scenario if you have a small drill and a drill bit that is the exact or a little smaller than the lead hole you could re drill the hole but you would have to be SURE to hold the drill level and use the slowest speed possible. The worst thing about replacing a component on a board these days is that they all are multi-layered and getting the solder to melt on the inner layers can require so much heat that by the time it gets hot enough to melt the solder all he way through that it will destroy the contact foil where the lead comes through.

Ask a Question