Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Broken Beats Mixr Headphones..

Cobiispo

Jun 5, 2014
Hi,
Well first of all I'm new at this forum. I broke my beats about a year ago and didn't know how to fix them. but I didn't know there was a forum for electronics. But anyways I need help repairing the internal.
So if you don't know which the beats mixr is, it's the one where both ear cups can turn at -90 to 180 I think. But it won't go 360, and I let my cousin use it and yeah the wires broke inside.
My question is can I sauter wires with the string inside it(yeah I'm a noob) with normal wires with coating? Or will it not work. I will post pictures
imagejpg2_zps7047bc92.jpg.html

imagejpg1_zps2b0838c4.jpg.html

imagejpg3_zpsfea98a7b.jpg.html

Last edited by a moderator:

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Yes, you can resolder the connections to get your headphones working again.
It takes a bit of skill to solder without over-heating he plastic parts around the electrical connections.
Any wire of roughly the same wire diameter will work, but you want something multi-stranded, so it's flexible.
If you're a noob who has never used a soldering iron before, do you know anyone else who can do this for you?
If you want to try it yourself, I'd practice soldering on a few loose wire ends, or a junk piece of electronic trash you have laying around, so that
you get a 'feel' for how long to hold your iron on the wires and contacts, without damaging them from excessive heat.
If you try this without a little prior experimentation on something not critical, you may damage the headphones through inexperience.
If you need help with exactly what connections to re-solder, post a close-up photo of the area that needs work, and someone here can
direct you.

Cobiispo

Jun 5, 2014
Yes, you can resolder the connections to get your headphones working again.
It takes a bit of skill to solder without over-heating he plastic parts around the electrical connections.
Any wire of roughly the same wire diameter will work, but you want something multi-stranded, so it's flexible.
If you're a noob who has never used a soldering iron before, do you know anyone else who can do this for you?
If you want to try it yourself, I'd practice soldering on a few loose wire ends, or a junk piece of electronic trash you have laying around, so that
you get a 'feel' for how long to hold your iron on the wires and contacts, without damaging them from excessive heat.
If you try this without a little prior experimentation on something not critical, you may damage the headphones through inexperience.
If you need help with exactly what connections to re-solder, post a close-up photo of the area that needs work, and someone here can
direct you.
Hi, sorry for responding so long. When I said noob I meant that I didn't know what wires are called like the one with the string inside or the one with coating. But anyways just to make sure, if I solder both of those 2 different wires, it would work right? And I've dont a bit of soldering before because I have an rc hobby. And I've posted a picture of how the wires will connect to the headphones. First is the wires on the headband, then between that and the speakers is this little microchip that I do not know what it's used for, and after that it's the speakers. There's 3 wires on each speaker.
It's the first picture link that shows how it all connects. Can someone tell me what the microchip does. I don't really know much about circuits boards or anything but what I see is this: each end has 3 ports where you would solder the wires on each side and they all connect in a line from one end to the other. And how do a iknow which wire goes to which port? What if I mess up and fry something?

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
The string is with the wires to provide strength, flexibility, and strain relief. If you just had thin wires in headphone cables, you'd snap the wires just turning your head.
The coating is a laquer. It's easier to apply and cheaper than using a regular plastic insulation on the wires. The laquer provides that the wires inside the cable don't short each other out.
When you solder those laquer covered very thin wires, you HAVE to scrap off the laquer at the place you want to solder the wire. Your solder will not stick to the laquer covering the wire.
I use an Exacto knife, but emery cloth or someting similar will work.
I don't know why your speakers have three wires, maybe someone else here does. It may just be a common wire between the two speakers, or with your unknown IC, serve some other function.
My eyes ain't what they used to be, but I'm not seeing the microchip you're talking about.
If you don't know where the wires connect, you may have a problem that you'll need to address.
I don't know what you mean by 'which wire goes to which port'. Are you referring to the connections on the speakers to the headphones, or the headphone plug interface to your amplifer?
You can identify which wire goes to which point on your headphone plug (the end of the long cable,), by using an ohmeter to check continuity from each point on the plug, to each wire to the
speakers. You'll have a common, (and if it's stereo headphones), two separate input wires, one to each speaker. (I'm assuming the 3-wires you referenced earlier).
Don't worry about this too much. It's been out of service for a year, and we'll proably be able to help you figure-out how to return your headphones to service. You just need a little
patience. We don't see everything you're seeing and your photos help a lot for us to figure-out what's going on. Do you see any markings,any letters or numbers on the microchip
you mentioned?

Cobiispo

Jun 5, 2014
Hi, im so sorry i forgot about this thread. After i tried soldering and failed i decided to quit for a while. It is very difficult to solder the three wires on the computer chip port because it is so small and they would touch after soldering.and about the microchip, where i would put the solder on one of the ports, one of them doesnt stick solder anymore. I dont know why but the other two can hold solder but the one in the middle cant because i think i unsoldered the place where you would solder. How can i fix this?

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Still can't see what you're talking about. It SOUNDS like one of the contact pads that you want to solder to is missing. Can you use a very short piece of spare wire to make the solder connection, and then epoxy it in place?
Is your soldering iron capable of accepting finer tips made for your iron (many have interchangeable solder tips). Or maybe you can locate a cheap fine-tip soldering iron to do the very small work.