Connect with us

bridging ribbon wire

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by nicholas koliboski, Nov 27, 2016.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. nicholas koliboski

nicholas koliboski

Nov 27, 2016
    I have this maytag dishwasher and the ribbon wire to the control panel was corroded. I removed the corrosion now i am missing the painted on metal wire. I heard the problem was the pastic covering wasnt properly waterproofed. I plan on jumping the bad section but cant figure out how. does anyone have an idea?

2. hevans1944

hevans1944 Hop - AC8NS

Jun 21, 2012
    Can you post a high-quality close-up photo of the problem? You might be able to replace the entire "painted on metal wire ribbon cable" with real ribbon cable. This comes with variable widths (number of individual wires) and lengths. Sometimes you can "harvest" short sections from discarded personal computers that used ribbon cable to connect the floppy drives and hard drives and CD-ROM drives to the motherboard.

3. nicholas koliboski

nicholas koliboski

Nov 27, 2016
    Here yea go

Attached Files:

4. hevans1944

hevans1944 Hop - AC8NS

Jun 21, 2012
    This might be repairable with individual strands of insulated wire bridging the part that is damaged. All depends on what the "painted on" conductors are made of. If tin-plated copper, it is doable because the conductors are solderable. If aluminum, you are SOL.

BTW, this flexible cable was NOT made by painting on the wires. It was made from a solid flexible laminate from which the individual conductors were etched away using a photochemical process, much like making an etched (printed) circuit board except the substrate is thin and flexible. Try to get some 60/40 tin/lead solder to stick to one of the metal conductors, well away from where it appears the metal has been scrubbed or corroded off.

5. tedstruk

tedstruk

Jan 7, 2012
    most connections in ribbons are contact, that is if you simply contact a jumper to the exposed wiring it whould work. Problem with this work is that your ribbon wire is not a ribbon wire, its an interface(built in with special signals in each wire) and that means you should consider finding a splicer kit for this paticular ribbon cable... then put in a splice. if it were me, I might cut the bad part out, then attach the two ends together as contact... you will need a pincher of some sort to hold them together tightly.

6. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009

and event the slightest bit of heat from the soldering iron is going to melt the plastic between the tracks
    they are a serious nightmare to try and repair

hevans1944 likes this.
Ask a Question