Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Box that opens and closes at set time

Jonathan Lewis

Apr 14, 2017
Hi,

Bit of a random question. How easy would it be to create a box that opens and closes at set times?

I'm a wildlife photographer and have just started working with a pair of little owls. I'd like to create a feeder which would contain bait and open at a set time (dawn) and close at a set time (dusk). It would need to be waterproof as it would be outside.

Even better would be the function to add 2+ days food in different compartments which open on consecutive days, but maybe this would complicate things too much!

Any advice on this would be appreciated.

Thanks!

J

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
Hi Jonathan. Thats easy to do in electronics. What type of mechanical system have you thought of. I would love to help you with this. All I ask is you send me some photos. We love widlife and my family would love to see pictures of owls .
Adam

Jonathan Lewis

Apr 14, 2017
Hi Jonathan. Thats easy to do in electronics. What type of mechanical system have you thought of. I would love to help you with this. All I ask is you send me some photos. We love widlife and my family would love to see pictures of owls .
Adam

Hi Adam. Thanks for your reply. I have no previous experience of anything like this so open to suggestions! It would just need to be a plastic box and the lid would have to pop open to at least 90 degrees and then close again at the end of the shift.

I'd be more than happy to send as many photos as you'd like if you could help with this :)

Cheers, Jonathan

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Couple of rc servos, arduino , real time clock , daylight sensor, battery and a bit of programming.

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
Yep RC servos was what I was thinking also Bluejets. You could put a straight horn on it and drive it to 90 degrees with PWM.
Thanks
Adam

Jonathan Lewis

Apr 14, 2017
Yep RC servos was what I was thinking also Bluejets. You could put a straight horn on it and drive it to 90 degrees with PWM.
Thanks
Adam

If you can help can you drop me PM me.

Cheers Adam!

Last edited by a moderator:

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
Hi Adam. Thanks for your reply. I have no previous experience of anything like this so open to suggestions! It would just need to be a plastic box and the lid would have to pop open to at least 90 degrees and then close again at the end of the shift.

I'd be more than happy to send as many photos as you'd like if you could help with this :)

Cheers, Jonathan

Yea I will help, I am thinking a small Arduino board with a little bit of software. It would be best if you sorted out the mechanical stuff, it brings me out in a rash doing that sort of thing :)

It would be nice to do this as a project for the forum and post photos at various stages along the way. What sort of budget had you in mind for this?

Cheers
Adam

Jonathan Lewis

Apr 14, 2017
Yea I will help, I am thinking a small Arduino board with a little bit of software. It would be best if you sorted out the mechanical stuff, it brings me out in a rash doing that sort of thing :)

It would be nice to do this as a project for the forum and post photos at various stages along the way. What sort of budget had you in mind for this?

Cheers
Adam
That sounds good, happy to post progress including end photos! Will email you!

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
Ok we also need to think about how we are going to power this. I guess battery powered, and how long you would want it to last before replacing batteries.
Cheers
Adam

CDRIVE

Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3
May 8, 2012
Just curious because my wife is a wildlife photographer. Why are you feeding the Owls?

Chris

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
@Arouse1973 and @Jonathan Lewis

For your protection, I have deleted your emails addys out of the thread

really bad idea to post them in open forum where spam bots will capture them and add them to spamming lists

if you ever want to swap email addys do it in PM :)