Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Boshe front loader WAE24460AU - Dead

Somethingrandom

Jan 20, 2014
Afternoon Gents/Ladies

My washing machine kicked the bucket a few days ago. For the last few months it's been stopping randomly during various cycles, I have been having to turn it back on a resume the wash. It wasnt stopping in the same place and there was no pattern. Now it's refusing to turn on at all. There's no indication of anything when I turn it on, no lights, no sounds when i press the buttons, nothing at all. I spoke briefly to a repairman who has said it's probably the mainboard and that's going to be an expensive repair. I decided to open the machine up and take a look at the mainboard, there are two PCBs, mainboard and LCD display board. Examined both, found some soot build up on the mainboard around one diode's cathode was black. Also a resistor that looked like it had a fracture running down it's length. Resisistor measured infinite resistance. Took the board to a local electronics store and indicated that i wanted to replace these two components. I was given a GW418-1N4007 to replace the GP10T-1014A diode and a 220ohm resistor to replace a 200ohm one. The shop guy said a 20 ohm difference was nothing and that the resistor was just running to ground anyway so no problem. I swapped these on the board and turned on the machine. The LCD lit up, awesome... and the replaced resistor lit up... and burnt out. I killed the power. Not sure if the components I was given were suitable.

Here's the resistor, original on top. https://www.dropbox.com/s/b3zxmi0cp91qhwv/image1.JPG?dl=0
Here's the replaced one burnt out. https://www.dropbox.com/s/hsxsxy2let2er3a/image2.JPG?dl=0
In the second photo, if you draw a line through the resistor's length and you will hit a diode, that's the one that was replaced. The mainboard part# is epw65539. Am I wasting my time with this, should I just get a replacement? Having a hard time finding the part online, I am in Australia, but have yet to try to contact the manufacturer directly, its the weekend. Would prefer a speedy resolution ie repair as I have clothes to wash, but it may be easier for everyone if I just replace it outright. If anyone is familiar with this machine or has an idea of what might be going wrong please let me know.

Cheers
Mike

Maxwell

Oct 1, 2016
Turn the board around, there should be small IC there that makes the low voltage power... a TNY of LNK unit probably. You should test this component as it's likely shorted. If it's anything like the boards i've worked on, the resistor will act as a fuse, and so as long as the short exists, it will keep blowing up! 220ohm vs 200 is fine for this application. 1N4007 should be fine as a replacement.

And yes it's an expensive repair because most whitegoods service techs will NOT bother trying to repair a PCB, they will just replace it entirely, and for good reason because it can take a very very long time to repair a PCB and no one wants to work for minimum wage... plus, results can be unreliable if the repaired PCB is not fully tested after the repair.

Somethingrandom

Jan 20, 2014
Thanks Maxwell, the machine is now repaired. Ended up replacing the PCB outright. Appreciate your efforts.