Connect with us

Bose Car Amplifier Repair?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by chopnhack, Mar 21, 2016.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. chopnhack

chopnhack

Apr 28, 2014
    I had an issue with my car radio not playing any music whether CD or FM/AM was selected. I was able to narrow it down to the stock amplifier not working. (I disconnected amp and attached a tiny speaker to the pre-amp feeds and was able to hear music from each channel). I replaced the defective amp with its equivalent from the junk yard, courtesy of E-Bay.

I decided to crack the housing open and see if I could figure out what went wrong - purely academic, right?! I mean we all enjoy a good sleuth around here, no?

I found oxidation on what I assume is the power amplifier board by a 14 pin quad comparator LM2901N - the corrosion was found underneath and what seems to be a burnt out diode?

Should I attempt to replace the diode and IC?

[​IMG]

This pict. is directly under the IC - the 'burnt' diode is top right. It looks like it was a red glass barrel type smt diode, similar to the lower one.

[​IMG]

Here is a complete shot of the 'power' board

[​IMG]

Here is the board that is attached by those thin wire ribbons - I assume it is the audio processing board, as there are 5 IC's and there are 5 channels to this system.

[​IMG]

A close up of the above IC is marked Bose.

[​IMG]

2. Arouse1973

Arouse1973 Adam

Dec 18, 2013
    Hi John
    I would have a little clean first with some PCB cleaner. Might not be anything wrong with the IC or diode. Then have a look and replace if you feel it needs it.
    Cheers
    Adam

chopnhack likes this.
  3. chopnhack

chopnhack

Apr 28, 2014
    Thanks Adam, I did test the diode that I thought was faulty on the back side, it measured the same as the other diodes nearby, about .5 V in one direction. Good advice, it may just be the corrosion causing the issue!

Ask a Question