Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Bose AWR1-1W internal antenna connections

Status
Not open for further replies.

SolKA3O

Feb 7, 2016
Hi! My first post, so I apologize if I'm asking something that may have been asked elsewhere. I couldn't find anything by searching for the model. A friend gave me a dead Bose AWR1-1W to look at. I gather there are several versions of these clock radios around; this is the one with 3 AA batteries for backup and an F-connector for an external FM antenna.

Anyway, in removing the cover I broke the connections from the internal ferrite bar antenna to the PCB. The rod was stuck to the top cover. I can guesstimate which lead went to which terminal from the length, but I'd rather know for certain. I found a schematic at eserviceinfo.com but it's not helpful. Anybody have one of these who can help?

Sorry for not posting a picture of the antenna or board, but all my attempts so far haven't been clear enough. I'll add pix if I can get some.

Thanks!

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Even with a schematic you'll need to guess at what winding is what, However, you will be able to confirm continuity exists where it should.

Figure out what your best guess is, then trace the connections on the PCB to determine which each matches in the schematic.

Finally determine if there is continuity between the wires that you expect.

Now you will have one potentially correct combination of wires. Go ahead and solder them in (watch out for wire that is very hard to solder) and see if the radio works. If it does, great. If not perhaps one of the windings is backward (swap the wires) or perhaps you need to swap windings from one place to another.

SolKA3O

Feb 7, 2016
Thanks! I used to be a professional service tech (TV/other electronics, computers, appliances, etc.) but I'm not in that biz any more. The soldering doesn't worry me (solderable insulation on the leads). There are only 4 wires from the rod antenna. I just was hoping someone could tell me which wire went where so I wouldn't need to do it more than once. I've just tacked them back on based on the length. Worst that can happen is the reception will be lousy and I'll switch them around. But as this poor critter is dead I still have more to worry about. SMD parts are trouble for me with crummy eyes, and I see a bunch of that stuff here. So far all I know is that the fuse is good and there's nothing obviously bad (swollen caps, smoked parts, bad solder connections, etc.). It was a "dead after a storm" failure, and those were always my nemesis.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
There are only 4 wires from the rod antenna. I just was hoping someone could tell me which wire went where so I wouldn't need to do it more than once.

As Steve said .. even a schematic isn't likely to tell you which goes where

The only real way would be to have another unit to compare it with

Dave

johnp496

Jun 5, 2022
Hi
I have the same issue, wondering if you were able to determine the pin out for the AM Antenna. Does anyone have a pic of the assembly so I can get this baby back into the world of the working.

Thanks in advance

John

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
@johnp496 : do you realize that this is an old thread from 6 years ago? You are not likely to recieve an answer within this thread. Please open a new thread and describe your problem there. Add pictures (upload at < 300kB/image). I'll close this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.