Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Boring question for you guys...chargers and amperage

Matth3w

Apr 8, 2012
I have two devices that both have the same connection so I was wondering if I could use the chargers interchangeably...I'm pretty sure with my limited experience that I can, but here goes:

Charger 1
Input
100-240V
50-60Hz
0.2A
Output
0.9A

Charger 2
Input
Everything the same except the input is 0.3A
Output 1.5A

Assume both devices (a PS Vita and Verizon 4G LTE Hotspot Device) have overcharging protection, which I'm pretty sure they do...

Thanks in advance!

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
The answer is maybe. If the output connectors are some type of USB, then the voltages and pin connections will be the same but the device that normally uses the higher amperage charger may not be satisfied with the smaller capacity charger. Some manufacturers like to do odd things with the two center pins so that can cause a failure to charge in some cases.

Last edited:

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
I have two devices that both have the same connection so I was wondering if I could use the chargers interchangeably...I'm pretty sure with my limited experience that I can, but here goes:

Charger 1
Input
100-240V
50-60Hz
0.2A
Output
0.9A

Charger 2
Input
Everything the same except the input is 0.3A
Output 1.5A

Assume both devices (a PS Vita and Verizon 4G LTE Hotspot Device) have overcharging protection, which I'm pretty sure they do...

Thanks in advance!

Hi Matt
welcome to the forums :)

You missed the other bit of important info.....
you didnt give the output voltage rating of either charger

Dave

Matth3w

Apr 8, 2012
Sorry the output rating is 5V for each. And I was wrong. One is 1.1A one is 1.5A

timothy48342

Nov 28, 2011
I have two devices that both have the same connection
What kind of connection is that? that doesn't happen to be a USB or mini-USB connector it is?

I tried to look up "Verizon 4G LTE Hotspot" but there are lots of diffent ones, so I only looked at the manual for one.

The thing is... (Let's see if other people here agree...) if both devices use a USB plug to recharge, then they both need to conform to USB standards. They know that if the plugs are a standard like that your going to swap them without thinking about it. They can't make it so it's going to break something the first time you accidently grab the wrong plug.

Both should be interchangable. (IF it takes a USB plug or mini-USB.)

--tim

timothy48342

Nov 28, 2011
Some manufacturers like to do odd things with the two center pins so that can cause a failure to charge in some cases.
(Sorry, I missed this when I read through the first time.)

Really?!? It's not going to break it though is it? Or it's not going to break other stuff is it?

I can just imagine the mess the company could get into if their hotspot could damage another companies charger. (or your computer)
--tim

Matth3w

Apr 8, 2012
Ok the Verizon hotspot has a USB dongle on one end but it's hard wired into the charger. The PS Vita charger is an unpluggable standard USB on one end and proprietary Sony dongle on the other

timothy48342

Nov 28, 2011
Ahhhh, I think I'm gonna bow out of this one.

I think I wouldn't have posted if I'd read the read the thread more thoroughly and noticed what KJ6EAD said about USB. If he says what he says about the data pins, then I have to bet that it's true.

I think I personally would have tried it... but I might have also been on my way back to the store to raise holy hell and demand my money back for getting my stuff broke.

(I think, I think, I think...)

KJ6EAD is the senior member, I'm not. In fact, it may say "member" up there by my ID, but consider me a junior member with A LOT of time on his hands. :)

My experience with electronics isssss junior.

--tim

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
If they're both USB connectors, they're capable of at least 500mA and probably interchangeable. No harm can come from trying. The worst that can happen is the battery charge circuit in a device won't allow charging because it doesn't see the right reference voltage on the data pins.