Connect with us

Boost converter 36 volts

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by JHCJ, Nov 15, 2016.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. JHCJ

JHCJ

Nov 15, 2016
    Hi!

I'm new to electronics and i would like to build a boost converter to power a 20W led. The led requires a voltage of 36 volts. To power the LED i will be using 18650 batteries and a tp4056 charger with discharge protection. Therefore i wish to connect them in parallel. I currently have a simple eBay boost converter which provides up to 40 volts but when i add a load the voltage drops down to 28 volts which isn't enough. I'm therefore looking to build a circuit than can boost 3.7 volt up to 36 volts. Does anyone have any idea of how to do this?

Right now i'm running 7 batteries in series with a resistor of 42 Ohms. This works but after a while the led gets dimmer due to the voltage drop and the batteries are run unprotected. Would it be better to run them in series and add a protection circuit instead of building a boost converter?

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    It's easier to have a voltage source higher than the led requires and then to build a constant current source.

See our resource on LEDs for way more information.

Ask a Question