Connect with us

"Boom Box" question

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by arran coughlan, Apr 30, 2014.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. arran coughlan

    arran coughlan

    Apr 30, 2014
    hi i have a quick question for someone.

    I want to build a portable music system i.e a "boom box". im after retrieving speakers from a hifi system. but i dont know what amp to get. the speakers are 2 x 80 watt 3 ohm, and 2 x 170 watt 6 ohm subwoofers.. what kind of amp can i use? im thinking i could add in a resistor to reduce the impedance so i can use them..

    some help would be greatly appreciated..
  2. KrisBlueNZ

    KrisBlueNZ Sadly passed away in 2015

    Nov 28, 2011
    Don't use any resistors to change the impedance; it will just waste power. Find an amplifier that's designed to drive those impedances. They're not unusual. Google audio amplifier kitset - there are several out there.
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day