Connect with us

Books for learning robotics

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by spk012, Jan 6, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. spk012

spk012

Nov 13, 2011
    I am an electronics student(sophomore) and want to build robots on my own.

I wonder if I can find a good book that will teach me how to build robots on my own!!
    can you give the links??

If you think that getting a book is not required to build a robot and got any other suggestions.. please let me know.

All I want is, at the end of the day, I should build my own robots.

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
  3. spk012

spk012

Nov 13, 2011
    I searched google. I thought you guys might specify particular book that you found to be interesting and good

4. Raven Luni

Raven Luni

Oct 15, 2011
    I dont know of any books but if you consider what it is you need to know it can make things much simpler.

A robot is basically just a motorised device with some means of controlling the motion. A washing machine operates on the very same principles. Anyway, motors are one thing you'll want to read up on. These can be split into 3 main categories: continuous, steppers and servos. With continuous motors you only control speed and direction - useful if you want something like a RC car (or a waching machine). Stepper motors are moved in small increments and can be used for positioning of things like printer heads. They are fast but have relatively low resolution. Servos are the most precise. These use a PWM input to exactly position the device. They tend to be slow moving but have very high torque.

Controlling the devices can be done any way you like. The most important electronic concerns here are being able to switch high currents. WIthout this youre dead in the water.

Hopefully that will give some general pointers on the areas to read up on.

5. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Which books did you see?

Did you notice a list of books and reviews from a dedicated robotics forum?

I would personally recommend "The Art of Electronics" but that's not really about robotics. I've read "The evil genius's guide to PIC's" (or something similar to that) and it's OK, but I wouldn't write home about it.

As long as you have enough knowledge to separate the wheat from the chaff, you'll find heaps of information on the internet. If you stick to what you find (or is recommended) from dedicated robotics forums, you'll probably be better off.

Do you have an actual project in mind? Or are you also looking for ideas?

Ask a Question