Connect with us

Book Reviews

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by (*steve*), Sep 2, 2012.

1. CalgaryPT

CalgaryPT

May 7, 2017
    I'll chime in here. I mentioned it in my profile post but I am a big Forrest M. Mims fan. The closest I ever got to a celebrity contact was a personal response to an email I sent him. All his books are great if you can still find them.

More recently I think the Simon Monk "Evil Genus" books are of Mims quality--in terms of explanation, circuit design, and background theory. I enjoy pulling put a calculator and a quad ruled pad and working through examples in his circuits. Great fun.

Yeah, I'm a geek.

2. Alektron

Alektron

Jan 14, 2018
    A well written book, easy to follow, algebra and trigonometry based for the novice electronic student. I really like it, it also comes with a simulation software.

Title of the Book:

Principles of electronic circuits 7th edition

by Thomas L. Floyd

principles of electronic circuits floyd 7th edition.jpg

3. Minder

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
    The biggest gripe I have is in books such as Art of Electronics and others, is the standard use of symbols is not observed, in particular one that can have a dangerous outcome if miss-interpreted is the wide spread use of the Earth ground symbol for circuit common in general.:(
    M.

Harald Kapp likes this.
  4. Ravi mathur

Ravi mathur

Jun 12, 2018
    its very intresting book lots of good stuff in it

5. JeffSears

JeffSears

Jul 20, 2018
    I've been reading this book recently and it is very good:

6. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009

Which book ?

7. FuZZ1L0G1C

FuZZ1L0G1C

Mar 25, 2014
    No doubt some book titles have already been mentioned during the time-frame of creating my Excel>PDF list.
    As the list is quite long, and contains several columns of data, it was decided to use the spreadsheet-to-PDF format rather than miles of text rows.
    Hopefully the PDF is displayable on the forum...

Attached Files:

8. ericrannue1

ericrannue1

Jan 29, 2019
    Electrical Engineering: Principles and Applications by Allan R. Hambley (2011)

9. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009

and what did you think of it ?

please give an actual review that would be helpful to other members :)

10. FuZZ1L0G1C

FuZZ1L0G1C

Mar 25, 2014
    Visual Basic For Engineers.
    Copied all 400 pages of this book years ago from a public reference library, it (obviously) no longer has the CD-Rom referenced in the book's text, but very useful equations with explanatory sketches, covering a wide range of engineering applications.
    These include wave-guide efficiency and design, fin-efficiency (for heat-sinks), various antenna designs and parameters, printed circuit design considerations (capacitance / mutual inductance etc), and many more.
    The equations themselves are mostly embedded within the VB code script, so requires a "Basic:rolleyes:" working knowledge of the code to decrypt back to the original equation.
    ..... Still working on it ..... :D

11. FuZZ1L0G1C

FuZZ1L0G1C

Mar 25, 2014
    MY BAD!!
    Sorry, I should have titled the book in my post #50 VISICALC For Engineers, not Visual Basic.
    Visicalc was the first spread-sheet program for computers (c. 1977-1978).
    Which means the 'disc' mentioned in the book was probably a floppy.
    There are (or were) downloads available of the Visicalc compiler.
    IDK whether these still work on modern PC OS's.
    I tried Excel directly, but many operators and functions, don't.

CalgaryPT likes this.
  12. CalgaryPT

CalgaryPT

May 7, 2017
    Oh man, did you ever date yourself with that post. AND made me nostalgic at the same time. Thanks.

FuZZ1L0G1C likes this.
Ask a Question