Connect with us

Board Burnt

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by shorteddiode, Jun 1, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. shorteddiode

shorteddiode

Mar 23, 2011
    Guy sent me the amplifiers out his B&W speakers, said they stopped working. The circuit boards on both amps is burnt so bad they have cracks in them. I don't know what caused the problem but they both have two bad filter caps and four fried resistors. I am thinking power surge. Does anyone have any good tricks for fixing the board, cleaning the bad spots to prevent carbon tracking, and glue down lose traces? I am thinking of just telling the guy they can't be fixed. Open to ideas and tricks for repair.

2. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    Map the faulty tracks back to either where they are still good or where they meet another part... If they meet another part solder a jumper wire from that part to the destination... If the trace after a short distance is still good, score it at that point with a razor and remove the bad parts, scrape off the resist covering the trace and lay a wire down and solder it to the good section of the trace and back to where it came from...

Cracks are more likely from an extended period of running HOT than from a surge that will usually just pop the tracks like a fuse...

3. shorteddiode

shorteddiode

Mar 23, 2011
    I'll give it a try,,thanks cocacola

4. CDRIVE

CDRIVE Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3

May 8, 2012
    Contact cleaner will wash away loose carbon but the stubborn stuff will require a stiff brush, like a tooth brush. An eraser does a good job too, especially for cleaning a trace nice and bright to accept solder.

5. shorteddiode

shorteddiode

Mar 23, 2011
    Thanks cdrive, good info

6. CDRIVE

CDRIVE Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3

May 8, 2012
    I should have specified that the eraser trick pertains to un-tinned copper traces. Exposed to air they oxidize and will not take solder. The eraser cleans the oxidation without removing metal. It also works well on battery holder contacts, copper wire, and any electrical contact, connectors, etc that has silver plating.

Chris

7. junlee

junlee

Jun 5, 2012
    Operating voltage is too high

8. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    not necessarily

D

Ask a Question