Maker Pro
Maker Pro

bluetooth to rj45 serial

supert8ch

Mar 30, 2012
I am very new to electronics and find learning easier by doing. I have a small project I wish to try to start my learning curve. I have a serial device that I want to make a bluetooth adapter for. This would allow for no cables at a distance of about 15 feet. I would love to get video on this also but not sure if that would be very workable. Here is the connections:
18 volt power supplied by the device.
Connect with RJ45 connector
Connector tied to a bluetooth module
Be able to link with RS232 to laptop.

Not sure if this can also be done with a RS485 connection??

If anyone has some ideas of the parts to start with would be a big help.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Have you googled for "Bluetooth serial adapter"?

I think it *may* be what you want.

I'm not sure how you'd transfer video over that though (unless the answer is "very slowly")

supert8ch

Mar 30, 2012
The problem with the ones out is they are serial db9 adapters. I need it to be a RJ45. I am just learning these things but my thought was something more compact and to the application that I need.
I have a unit that has 2 RJ45s - in/out ports and a RCA video port.
There is 24 volt dc power on pins 3 and 6, I think this would be plenty for bluetooth.
I wanted to have a small unit to plug into the RJ45 and RCA to send this data to the laptop. The video is needed as now a usb video adapter is used with a cord also. The unit is programmed with the serial connection and verified with the video display.
The RJ45 uses RS232 for a single unit and when daisy chained uses RS485.
Oh ya and it hangs on the ceiling so that is the main drive to make RJ45/RCA wireless.

I hope this helps some in my needs and wishes to come up with a device.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I guess you could search for some RJ45 to DB9 adapters. I threw some out recently :(

since RJ45 connectors are not standard for use with RS232, you're unlikely to find something commercial that uses them for this type of signal.

supert8ch

Mar 30, 2012
I have RJ45 to DB9 cable adapters. I am hoping to come up with a RJ45 to bluetooth. Even with just that the video cable I can work out later. I guess 1 step at a time to start with.
So the question still remains of what could be used to make this?

I was thinking of a bluetooth module added to a some serial board. Reduce the power from the 24 v dc to the 5 volt, I think that is the right voltage off the top right now.
As stated I am new and this would be a a first for me to play and learn on.