Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Bluetooth adapter cable question

robindean

Feb 19, 2013
Hi all.

I'm a motorcycle enthusiast in need of a special adaptor for my helmet's bluetooth interface.

Basically, I bought a name-brand helmet module that interacts with my phone (and also my passenger's helmet) for music and communication.

The (small) interface itself clips onto my helmet's exterior (for easy hand access) and then wires into speakers that are installed on the interior.

The speakers/mic connect to the control module via MINI usb (module = female, mic/speaker wire = male).

I am NOT satisfied with the quality of the sound coming through the speakers and have never been impressed with the included speakers of any other module. They always sound weak, tinny and unintelligible at speeds over 35 mph.

THE CABLE ADAPTER I WANT:

option a) one male mini-usb plug, duplicated (cloned) into two female mini-usb jacks, delivering the same signal information to both. That way I can buy a better-known mini-usb-to-3.5mm jack for my preferred earbud audio.

mini-usb-only.png

option b) the same as option 'a' but instead, ONE of the female mini-usb jacks is a female 3.5mm jack (to directly connect my 3.5mm earbud headphones).

mini-usb-355.png

Basically, I require the microphone that is built into the speaker system in my helmet but would prefer earbud audio, which is why I need to duplicate/clone the signal rather than simply purchase a more typical mini-usb to 3.5mm (audio-only) adapter.

My first question is ... where could I get (simple) parts to create this Frankensetup.

My next question is ... if the necessary parts aren't easily accessible, would anyone on here be interested in letting me purchase the service of creating such an item?
- I'm not sure if this kind of question is allowed on the forum. If not, say the word. I don't want to break any rules ;)

Last edited:

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
If the audio out is USB protocol, than it's a digital signal not an analog one you can't simply hook up a 3.5 jack to drive speakers like you pictured... Now if they are simply using miniUSB as a generic plug you might be able to do what you want, but I highly suspect that they are using USB protocol and it's a digital signal... Also since USB is two way communications you can't split it like you envision, doesn't work that way you need a hub/switch to handle the split to avoid collisions...

robindean

Feb 19, 2013
since USB is two way communications you can't split it like you envision, doesn't work that way

I was hoping to thwart this by "duplicating" the signal instead of splitting it, so that the current setup receives everything as it normally would and a second stream gets diverted for audio-only use.

I wonder ... how can I determine if it's USB protocol or analog?

Also, and I'm sure you read my idea thoroughly as your response is quite knowledgeable (thank you), if I were to duplicate the usb connection, would an adapter such as this interrupt it's ability to function?

http://blujay.com/item/Mini-USB-to-Headphone-Jack-adapter-for-Motorola-Razr-V3-8020100-3021796

My apologies for being unfamiliar with the obstacles.

To get what I'm after, what suggestions do you have?

robindean

Feb 19, 2013
Okay, let me rephrase to simplify the question.

What must I do to make use of 1/8" (3.5mm TRS) earbud headphones IN ADDITION to the standard speaker/microphone installation that is connected via mini-usb?

I'm hoping to avoid splicing/soldering at the speaker wire.

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
I'm hoping to avoid splicing/soldering at the speaker wire.

That is the most straight forward approach with likely the best results... That is short of having someone that 'knows' what they are looking at physically look over the device in question and see if another option is suitable...

Note you might need additional amplification to get your desired results...

robindean

Feb 19, 2013
I've done something similar in the past (to a 3.5mm system, not usb) and the results were nice. No amplification will be needed as well sealed earbuds take less power to produce a bigger feeling sound.

If I have to do it this way, I'm going to want to graft it rather than cut and splice. That will be a total pain in the arse.

Then again, what if, as usb, it is only projecting an analog signal ... using the usb connection for computers/charging only? If that were the case, if I was that lucky, what adapter possibilities might be out there then? Or, what combination of adapters might I try?

The bigger and more important question: If I wanted to custom roll my own adapter, what's a good supply warehouse to get those cool, tiny, pre-constructed parts for easy wiring without cutting?

My signature should say it and will eventually ... I hate soldering.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
I still think as has been said earlier...

a USB is a digital I/O there isnt going to be any analog signal there audio or anything else

confirm this....
does the USB port get used for actual USB use ?
or as suggested earlier it may be they used those connectors for their convienent small size ?

IF it gets used for standard USB use then it will be digital I/O only, that's pretty much guaranteed
Do you not have user info for this unit ?
And where does the Bluetooth fit in to all this ?

Dave

robindean

Feb 19, 2013
I'll dig into tonight and see what I can find out. Big thanks and ups to all of you :D

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
I've done something similar in the past (to a 3.5mm system, not usb) and the results were nice. No amplification will be needed as well sealed earbuds take less power to produce a bigger feeling sound.

Yes, you can splice or 'Y' analog signals this way, it's still no 'proper' as you unbalance the load but it's commonly done...

Then again, what if, as usb, it is only projecting an analog signal ... using the usb connection for computers/charging only?

If it's using the USB connector for charging I'm going to strongly guess that it's up to USB standard and not an analog mix match connector...

If that were the case, if I was that lucky, what adapter possibilities might be out there then? Or, what combination of adapters might I try?

If you were that lucky you would need to identify the proper wires and likely make your own adapter as it's not standardized...

The bigger and more important question: If I wanted to custom roll my own adapter, what's a good supply warehouse to get those cool, tiny, pre-constructed parts for easy wiring without cutting?

Um, not sure what you mean, you are not trying to do something 'standardized' so the chance of finding anything that is plug and play is slim, that is unless the manufacture makes an adapter...

My signature should say it and will eventually ... I hate soldering.

Sometimes a necessary evil to do a proper job, practice more and you will likely find it's not as bad as you believe...