Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Blown PSU Repair

jabaroon

Feb 16, 2011
Hi All,

I made a mess of a fan replacement on a netgear switch and accidentally touched the case cover off the heat sync (aluminimum) part on the PSU board. It arc'ed, tripped the circuit breaker, blew the fuse in the plug and voila, now my PSU is dead. Notwithstanding my red face for doing something so stupid, I need to try to repair it or get a replacement as otherwise I have a dead switch that is not a cheap model to replace!

I cannot find too much on-line about the PSU fom looking at the part number / details (made by Delta Electronics), but maybe you guys could point me either at a source for a replacement or give me some repair tips. Never repaired anything like this before, but amn't afraid of a soldering iron and a bit of hard work!

Alternatively, if you know of any places where I could send this to be repaired for a reasonable price, that too would be great (assuming not too expensive!)

Any help appreciated.
Jab

Attachments

• psu.jpg
    psu.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 237

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
It could be just a matter of replacing the mains fuses on the PSU. Post a good picture of the actual PSU if you can't find'em.

jabaroon

Feb 16, 2011
Hi Resqueline,

Thanks for getting back to me. I have attached 4 pictures. In the first picture, I have circled two items that may be of note.
1) The first circle shows the discoloration where the arc occurred as a result of my stupidity! :(
2) The second square outline shows something that looks like a fuse, but I have put a meter on it and it is not blown. Its a strange looking fuse with a rather large looking fuse wire (very thick) so maybe it isn't a fuse?

Anyway, thoughts appreciated!
Cheers,
Jab

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 303
  • pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 218
  • pic3.jpg
    pic3.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 224
  • psu4.jpg
    psu4.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 216

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
The fuse in the square is a fuse allright and is labelled FS1. The actual fuse wire is spiralled around a fibre core, making it look thick/strange.
The mains fuse(s) I'm referring to would be located underneath the aluminum heatsink, close to the mains plug. Your pic's doesn't show this area.
Or, another thought; does the netbox have an IEC mains inlet contact? If so; they often incorporate fuses.

jabaroon

Feb 16, 2011
Bingo!

A little more investigation inspired by your guidance has revealed a little black thing (that I would never have considered to look like a fuse!!) that was indeed a fuse! The "F1 13A 240" was a bit of a giveaway when I spotted it!!

Anyway, a quick check with the meter and it does indeed appear to be blown. I taken it off the board and am on the path to find a replacement!

Will let you know how I get on.

Cheers,
Jab

PS - Pic attached for info

Attachments

• psu5.jpg
    psu5.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 324

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
There you are.. :)
It seems to me the labeling on the PCB says T3.15A 250V. The T is for "slow-blow".

jabaroon

Feb 16, 2011
Thanks again guys for all the help. Went to my local electronics place and they hadn't got a suitable fuse for me. So I was a bit bold and shorted out the fuse on the board to confirm that all was actually working.

Guess what?! It worked.....Woo Hooo!

So, now I gotta find a fuse and it looks like flea bay is going to be my friend here!
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/10x-T3-15A-3-...al_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item1e619ad365

Anyway, thanks a million again for all the help,
Regards,
Jabaroon