Connect with us

Blown Inverters...

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by rionzion, Mar 30, 2011.

1. rionzion

rionzion

Mar 30, 2011
    Hi all...

I use a 12vdc to 230v ac inverter with an off-grid setup consisting of a 12v battery bank, a solar panel and a generator.

i have blown several inverters by forgetting to unplug the inverter before running the genrator, i.e the inverter has had 230v ac fed INTO it via its "outlet"plug - the wrong way!

in each case the inverter will power up but the fault light remains illuminated. We're talking cheap "modified sine wave" units around 300-500w in size.

can anyone tell me which component(s) are likely to have failed and whether it would be possible/worthwhile to try and fix them? Or should i just use the boxes for other projects?!

Many thanks for any help.

2. Resqueline

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
    Most likely the output power transistors are blown, having taken their drive circuits with them "in the fall".
    A repair is possible but likely somewhat elaborate & expensive, and the outcome is still not always successfull.

3. rob_croxford

rob_croxford

Aug 3, 2010
    Do your inverters use IGBT modules?? If so its quite possible these have been seriously damaged and would be a costly repair.

The driver would be damaged and replacing one will be expensive - designing your own very costly and time consuming.

sounds to me as if you inverters are beyond resonable repair

4. MattyMatt

MattyMatt

Mar 24, 2011
    Probably not my most intelligent post... but isn't there a diode or a BANK of diodes you can use so this doesn't happen again? Having that happen more than once is probably not a fantastic thing at all.... there has to be some kind of protection circuitry you can put in line... right??

Ask a Question