Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Blown Fuse in Bose Companion 3 Multimedia Speaker System Acoustimass Module

foxman09

Aug 28, 2012
I moved to the Philippines this year and my bose system (Companion 3 Multimedia Speaker System) was delivered this week. STUPID me I forgot to plug it into my transformer (220V standard outlet here) so it stopped working right away and I have NO ACCESS to a Bose repair center :-( . I would assume the main issue is a bad fuse in the Acoustimass module. On other forums I have seen people fix blown soldered fuses in different models of Acoustimass units so I assume I have the same type of fuse to deal with.

Anyway, I'm asking around to find out how to open this unit so I can replace the fuse myself. I heard in some units there is a hidden locking system that needs to be flipped and buttons need to be popped off. I have taken out the screws but it won't open up (due to some flip lock apparently). I don't know what the quartersized wood piece with two holes on the bottom is for but it doesn't move with slight pressure. I thought it was best to leave it alone until I got some directions. People say the lock switch is hidden in the seams (where there is wood and plastic meeting) but I don't see anything. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to pry a little bit before something POPS out or what. It's recommended to use a flat head screw driver to access it.

If anyone has a clue how to open this thing please let me know.

Here are photos of the module for reference.

http://imgur.com/a/UBC7G#0

*I don't know if image links are allowed on this forum so I'll upload the photos directly later if the link is deleted*

Thanks everyone

GreenGiant

Feb 9, 2012
this is probably going to be very difficult to get into, Bose tends to be one of the hardest.

You probably need a special tool, or need to make something that fits into the holes, and presses some releases in them and then turn one way or another, I dont have experience with this model but that would be my guess, companies tend to make special tools to open their products so it would be more cost effective to send it to them so they make the money for it.

foxman09

Aug 28, 2012
Very sneaky by Bose and other companies. Even if I had access to a Bose repair center I would just spend the $150 they would want from me to repair it on a nice set of headphones that will never blow a fuse. I've read a couple succesful Bose repair stories that cost them TWO DOLLARS for the fuse replacment procedure. What a joke, this is why I don't buy restrictive products like Mac computers that never truly let you OWN the product.

GreenGiant

Feb 9, 2012
I can understand your point and agree with you to some degree, but I like some of the things like that, because more often than not you're never going to have to do any work on it.
I've seen Bose systems that you would spend days trying to get into but have worked for 10-12 years before there were any issues with it, so you get your money's worth out of it, same for Macs you could have one for 5-10 years and never have the need to open it, whereas you take a windows laptop/pc and chances are in 6-9 months you will probably have to open it for some reason or other, and chances are in that 5-10 years you will need a lot of service/upgrades in order for it to continue to function

foxman09

Aug 28, 2012
FIXED!

Turns out there were a few more hidden philips head screws under a sticker that I didn't know was a sticker. Took those out, slightly pried the back off, and was able to access the fuse very easily from there.

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
whereas you take a windows laptop/pc and chances are in 6-9 months you will probably have to open it for some reason or other, and chances are in that 5-10 years you will need a lot of service/upgrades in order for it to continue to function

You do realize that almost all the hardware in current mac computers is identical to that of a PC, same components, made in the same factory and made by the same people using mostly the same 3rd party parts? Since it's the same hardware it's going to have the same life expectancy, unless you force a software update that necessitates a hardware update...

Anyway to the OP good to hear you fixed it... In the future for anyone doing this I highly recommend getting a couple 'cell phone' service tool kits on Ebay... The tools in these kits are very similar to the tools used by the authorized repair centers to crack open the hidden lock tabs found in most devices...

This is just a random example...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-in-1-Kit-...ltDomain_0&hash=item1c1b287766#ht_6086wt_1163

The yellow seam splitters and blue "guitar" pics are a God send when cracking devices open as are the small screw drivers to push tabs...

BTW: If you do a lot of work get multiples of these, unlike the high quality ones made of Delrin or Nylon used by the pros, these are cheap plastic and they fatigue quiet quick under use...