Connect with us

BLOWN DC TO DC STEP DOWN REG

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by BigAitch, Mar 7, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. BigAitch

BigAitch

Mar 7, 2013
    Hi

The photo is related to the following:

I've just stripped an IP cam which had power to the front LEDs but which had no wifi or ethernet when powered up.

Once I opened the case and applied the correct power, there was a puff of smoke and a small chip on one of the boards blew.

This chip has the code: MP1410ES

The last digits are melted but this group starts "S" and ends "6" (I think).

The board this is mounted on has the serial number IP-390EDYB_080409 and I think this is a power supply.

Can anyone help identifying a replacement (like for like) and recommend whether it would be smart to change other items or the whole board, not just the chip (if I can find one)?

Thanks in anticipation.

H

Attached Files:

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
  3. BigAitch

BigAitch

Mar 7, 2013
    Steve

Thanks for coming back to me and so swiftly!

I had already searched on line and was able to at least identify what the chip did, but as a newbie to electronics, I wasn't sure whether the last digits shown on the chip were hugely significant or whether these are just batch or manufacturing numbers.

In spite of some prettty exhaustive searching, I could find NO reference to the specific item (even without the missing digits) nor if this item has been superceded (and if so by what).

I do appreciate support though!!

Cheers

Hal

4. (*steve*)

Jan 21, 2010
    The extra digits generally refer to temperature ratings, package type, manufacturing date, etc.

5. BigAitch

BigAitch

Mar 7, 2013
    Cheers Steve,

so within reason, any chip starting with the same line of digits should be OK???

It's not a mission critical device, but it would be good to get it going as it cost me well over £100 and has had very little use.

I am still questioning why it smoked only once I had removed the cover, which is not used as an earth or heat sink - the unit had been switched on with only the LEDs working and no camera/ethernet for ages, with no smoke (although I accept I wouldn't have seen that with the cover on, but it pretty soon stopped smoking having terminally fried itself)!!

Do these things just blow and smoke or is it likely something else in the circuit is the culprit slamming way too much juice to the wrong place?

Sorry to be an information sucker not having yet made any contribution to the forum, but I really am at entry level!

H

6. (*steve*)

Jan 21, 2010
    It probably failed after you removed it because power was applied the wrong way around, or a connector was placed incorrectly, or you damaged a wire and something shorted out, or you shorted something out in some other way.

If you're lucky this is all that has failed.

All you need to check is that the replacement device has an SO-8 package (some of the alphabet soup will mean this, but check the device you order, the description will include this).

There is also the risk that other components have been damaged.

Ask a Question