Connect with us

blown cable box...

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by skilet, Nov 2, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. skilet

skilet

Nov 2, 2012
    Just found this website, as a starting point for what I hope will become a long term hobby in electronic fiddling about.
    To start, I'm looking for some expert advice on a problem I have come into at my new house.
    A small room over the garage had been set up by the previous owner as a kids playroom, with a nice set of built in cabinets on one side was nicely appointed with a cable outlet and elec. outlet. As I plugged in the Motorola dct6200 cable box to prepare for set up with the cable company, it made a loud pop, and quit working. (thankfully, i had not plugged the TV in yet, as investigation into the wiring of the outlet showed that it was wired directly into the 220v electric heating circuit.

Can anyone tell me what they think was likely damaged in the cable box, and if it is repairable as a bit of a project?
    Thanks

2. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    You need to crack it open to have an idea what popped, it could be as simple as a fuse, or it could be real involved...

But, if this is s 'rental' cable box like 99% of them are in my experience, best not to open it up just swap it at your local cable office for a new one... Opening it up might draw unwanted attention to you if and when you need to turn it back in, they might even fine you for opening it up... Telling them it stopped working after a 'storm' with the 'stickers' on the back still intact will be a painless swap for a new one in most cases...

3. skilet

skilet

Nov 2, 2012
    Got it cracked... Will there be any visual signs that you would look for?

It's not a rental box... I had replaced it a while ago, and just found it in the shop... And was looking for something to do.

4. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    Look for a fuse, look for white or black dust/smoke deposits... Look for parts that are physically burnt, discolored or cracked... Use you nose and give the board a sniff and see if you can narrow down a 'burnt' area...

Beyond that you start at the plug and work your way around the circuit seeing where the power fails...

Pictures?

5. skilet

skilet

Nov 2, 2012
    Some discoloration... No smell, although it happened some time ago.
    Think I'm going to be busy reading for a few days.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
Ask a Question