Connect with us

Blinking LED circuit

Wanted: Discussion in 'For Sale / Wanted' started by WoodChuck, Jul 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Scroll to continue with content
  1. WoodChuck

WoodChuck

Jul 29, 2013
    WoodChuck here. I build replica props for costumers who
    pose for photos as STAR WARS characters to raise money for sick kids.

I am looking for a circuit that will blink two sets of five RED LED's in sequence.
    This circuit will be installed in a replica prop blaster so the blinking LED's can be seen
    from both sides of the blaster. Space is minimal, perhaps a 9 volt battery for
    the supply voltage would be a better fit then AA or AAA sized batteries.

I am willing to trade one of my props of equal value, or buy the completed circuit.
    (Link Removed)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2013
  2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    The simple answer would be to use a 555 and a 4017. If operated from 9V, each 4017 output could easily drive 2 LEDs.

The 4017 allows up to 10 outputs in sequence, in your case, you would connect the 6th output to the reset so it gave 5 outputs in sequence.

googleing "4017 555 LED" should give you a number of examples.

Feel free to ask more questions if what I say makes less sense that you feel it should :)

3. WoodChuck

WoodChuck

Jul 29, 2013
    Thanks for the info. I am hoping someone will offer to build the circuit.

4. jimwill48

jimwill48

Sep 2, 2010
  5. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    That's pretty cool. It can easily be converted to run 2 sets of 5 LEDs, and a single wire soldered to the underside can be used to reset the chip so it only steps through the first 5 LEDs.

You would put the whole thing together, except for the LEDs and the associated resistors. you would make 5 sets of 2 LEDs and a resistor, all in series and connect each set up to the outputs 1 to 5. A wire from the output 6 would go to the reset pin of the 4017 (it may require a track to be cut too).

It would be best to mount the LEDs inside the device first, or connect them with flexible insulated wire to allow you to do so.

Ask a Question