Connect with us

bk e200d signal generator no 400 hz tone

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by jsdspif, Sep 20, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. jsdspif

jsdspif

Sep 20, 2013
    Hi I have one of these and it won't produce it's 400 hz tone . I've cleaned all the pots and switches , checked the voltages on the circuit board and at each of the transistors and all is ok . I've examined it closely looking for any visible signs and found none . Everything works as it should . I can input a signal and I can hear that on a receiver but I can't get the unit to produce it's 400 hz tone . Would anyone have suggestions as to what to do at this point ? Thanks .

2. jsdspif

jsdspif

Sep 20, 2013
    I replaced the 2 electrolytics in the tone circuit , c33 and c34 and checked for continuity between component leads that are supposed to be connected and that checks out . At this point I am considering replacing the 3 poly caps in that portion of the circuit.

3. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    There's a free service manual at:
    http://www.freeinfostuff.com/E200D/E-200D.htm
    There are just too many other things that could be wrong. A Google search says yours
    is a common problem with your unit, and yeah, the two caps you replaced were listed
    as prime suspects.
    Good luck

4. jsdspif

jsdspif

Sep 20, 2013
    I got it working ... kind of . After I replaced C37 it started to work . As I removed C37 iwas was pulling it out with needle nose pliers as I unsoldered the lead and it crumbled apart . As for the kind of part , on the internal setting I hear it thru a receiver but I still can't get the tone out of a speaker when it's switched to external . I think I may be hearing a very slight tone when the modulation level is all the way up although there is no movement of the meter . On internal the meter reacts just as it should but on external ... nothing . Does anyone have any ideas for me now ? Thanks.

5. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    did you download the service manual from the link shrtrnd gave you ?

Dave

6. jsdspif

jsdspif

Sep 20, 2013
    Yeah I have both the service and operating manuals , the trouble is partly due to the fact I can't follow a schematic very well . I did however set the switch to internal and set the modulation level to 50% , then I switched to 400 hz out and checked my a.c. voltage at the binding posts and I got 1.1 volts . The manual claims 1 volt rms at 50% , so I guess I've got a signal ??? Another forum someone spoke of needing a transformer on a speaker , but I don't understand that part because in the manual they instruct using the 400 hz out tone to troubleshoot a non working radio and the first thing they do is hook the binding posts to the voice coil of the non working radio's speaker . Isn't that just connecting to the + - terminals of the speaker ??? So I don't understand that part . Also does anyone know if the modulation meter works when the switch is on 400 hz out ?? It works for carrier in all positions and works in modulation in all positions except the 400 hz out , so now I'm trying to figure out how to hear the tone thru a speaker and whether or not the modulation meter works in the 400 hz out position . Thanks

Ask a Question