Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Biomedical Equipment repair facility

keeny

Jan 22, 2012
Hi, I have a biomedical device that the supplier does not service and refuses to provide the schematics. They have labeled it 'obsolete' but it is a perfectly good piece of equipment. They have a new model that is just over twice the cost of the old one we are welcome to purchase. Does anyone know of a bona-fide biomedical repair company that might like to take on this challenge? The device is an Ojemann Cortical Stimulator, model OSC-1. thanks all.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
In my day job, I deal with compliance with regulations for medical devices.

I would say that there is almost 0% chance of any company that works under such a scheme giving you the information you require.

It's a combination of paranoia, bureaucracy, and risk management with a healthy dose of CYA.

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
What's wrong with the device? Would you be able to repair it safely yourself if you had the schematics? It was made by Radionics afaik.
The CYA principle stands strong in the US and such, but maybe you can get guidance if you contact a BMET educational facility?

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Yep, many of the States in the States require certification in Biomedical Electronics,
before you can service biomedical instruments.
Depending on where you're at, will help point you in the right direction.
It's possible that while you can't get factory service from the manufacturer, you can
find a repair service who will still repair your instrument.
As pointed-out by *steve* & Resqueline, nobody in the States is going to give you the
schematics, and then get sued if you screwed-up the repair by an uncertified tech.

JMW

Jan 30, 2012
In addition, you may not be able to buy parts. If you look at electronic parts containers, most have a medical waiver. The manufacturer requires special certification for the medical products. It is more stringent than MilSpec but along the same lines.