Connect with us

binary to hex converter

Discussion in 'Electronics Homework Help' started by jrok07, Oct 16, 2012.

1. jrok07

jrok07

Oct 16, 2012
    Hello,
    I was looking for a little guidance designing a circuit in logisim. I need a 5 bit binary and need to convert it to a hex with 2 outputs. One for the sign, and one for the value 0-f using and/or/not only. Where i am at is that i need a little starting help as i am a little lost on where to begin. I know how to make a 4 bit input and output it to a hex display. I dont know how to incorporate a 2's compliment sign bit (bit no. 5) and display that in a seperate hex display. Thank you for any assistance.

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    The classic device is the MC14495, but these are a bit like hen's teeth.

Have a look a this discussion here where a number of alternatives are suggested. Maybe one of these will work for you.

3. jrok07

jrok07

Oct 16, 2012
    Thank you for the reply but i don't understand what anything on that link means?

4. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    OK, sorry, you want a circuit.

and I resume that this is some sort of homework.

You probably need to write down each bit combination and decide what segments are required to be illuminated for them.

Then determine the logic function that will produce this, then design a logic circuit using the elements you have to produce this.

For example of your bits are B1 to B5 and your Segments are S1 to S7 you might find that S3 should be displayed when B1 or (B2 and B4) and not B3

5. jrok07

jrok07

Oct 16, 2012
    Thank you that does make sense. Now I need a hex display and a 7 seg display. The 7 seg is for the sign bit but if the input is 5 bits i'm confused on how to design this?

Ask a Question