Connect with us

Binary counter project with 2 7 segment LED displays.

Discussion in 'LEDs and Optoelectronics' started by apples, Feb 16, 2014.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. apples

apples

Jul 1, 2012
    I want to make a 2 digit 7 segment led counter display. Activation via push button or IR photo interrupter.

I have a little circuit where I used a 4511 chip which is connected to a bank of 4 dip switches. These dip switched correspond to that of binary code. Depending on where you set the switches the single attached 7 segment LED display will show the correct decimal number.

I want to now make a circuit that will increment up from 0-99 each time a button is pressed or it is given an input signal. So I need a chip that will do what my small screw driver does by flicking those small dip switches from a single button press etc.

What type of chip would suit, what are they called? A binary decoder chip?
    Would also want a reset button back to zero.
    Also when power goes off would it store the last counted value or would it reset back to zero.

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    What you want is a BCD counter.

The button becomes the clock for the units counter and the overflow or carry output of the counter becomes the clock for the tens counter.

You'll have to debounce your switch or you won't count 1 at a time.

Using a microcontroller would reduce the pin and package count significantly (if you are inclined to use one)

Ask a Question