Connect with us

bi-directional voltage spike suppressor for DC PM motor

Discussion in 'Sensors and Actuators' started by Gusto4444, Sep 27, 2011.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Gusto4444

Gusto4444

Sep 27, 2011
    I have a 12 VDC motor, 0.9 horsepower, that I need to cycle frequently in both directions. The motor (a winch motor) is being underutilized for what I am doing with it. The duty cycle looks like this: It is biased in one direction for about 2 seconds with about a 40 amp steady-state draw (but a substantial in-rush I am sure), then rests for about 15-30 seconds, then it is biased in the other direction for about 2 seconds with about half as much draw, but probably the same(?) in-rush and then it rests again for 15-30 seconds.

I am failing the mechanical relay contacts in this application, I am guessing because of the frequent arcing on the break of the contacts. Can anyone recommend a solution for absorbing the flyback in both directions? Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  2. Resqueline

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
    There are varistors, and there are bidirectional transient absorber diodes available.
    What's the rating of the relay, and approx how many cycles does it take to fail it?

3. Gusto4444

Gusto4444

Sep 27, 2011
    300-400 operations, sometimes as high as 500

I would say that the relay seems to be done at around 300-400 actuations. It is a ZJSF-11B rated to operate at 12VDC. In terms of # of operations it is rated for, I can't find that spec.

4. Gusto4444

Gusto4444

Sep 27, 2011
    Would using an ICL to limit the in-rush help prolong contact life, as long as the delay that is induced is still acceptable?

Ask a Question