Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Better understanding of portable lithium battery pack

Sameh Mohamed

Jun 11, 2017
Firstly I am a newbie in electronics. Been a software developer for over 10 years and I know my way around desktop hardware, but that's mostly it.

I am self-teaching robotics using Raspberry Pi. I bought this battery pack a few months back and it works well when connected directly to the Pi board.

However I would like to connect it to this motor controller which is in turn connected to the PI. Problem is this controller accepts + and - wires rather than USB.

I opened up the pack and I am hoping to get help here on understanding the bits and pieces of what I am looking.

Please see image attached

Firstly: what is the white material there and what is its purpose?

Secondly: this battery has two outputs: a USB one; the left side and an AC one; second from the right. Why is the AC output covered in white material?

Finally: how can I hack it so that it outputs two wires out of the AC or USB output?

Attachments

• IMG_20170611_170119.jpg
    IMG_20170611_170119.jpg
    311.1 KB · Views: 95

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
Doesn't the battery pack have a user manual that shows you where its outputs are? It has an AC adapter that feeds its battery charger. It does not have an AC output but has USB and a few adjustable voltage outputs.
The white material is some "goop" that holds parts down so they don't break their wires but the person who put it made a big mess.

It is designed to feed a laptop or cell phone to charge its battery and it might not be able to power the motor controller.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
The specs for the motor controller say "Power input Voltage 6-25V". This controller will not be reliably powered by the 5 V USB port of the power bank.
You'll have to use the DC output which is switchable between 12 V, 16 V or 19 V.
The power bank comes with a set of adapter cables for operating a laptop. You can cut off the connector at the laptop end of the aadapter cable and connect the wires to the motor controller's power supply terminals.

Sameh Mohamed

Jun 11, 2017
Thanks Harald Kapp. Vielen Dank! I tried that a few months ago but wasn't a very serious try. I will re-try this week.

Sameh Mohamed

Jun 11, 2017
The specs for the motor controller say "Power input Voltage 6-25V". This controller will not be reliably powered by the 5 V USB port of the power bank.
You'll have to use the DC output which is switchable between 12 V, 16 V or 19 V.
The power bank comes with a set of adapter cables for operating a laptop. You can cut off the connector at the laptop end of the aadapter cable and connect the wires to the motor controller's power supply terminals.

Hi Harald,

I did as you recommended; connected the wires of the DC output to the controller, however some strange issue is happening. As soon as I turn on the battery pack, it lights green then goes dead (almost like it's shorted).

However the same connection works just fine when connected directly to a motor and directly to this other motor driver I have. I am wondering if there' some programming on the PiBorg Reverse that conflicts with the battery pack. Any thoughts on your end?

Thanks again!