Connect with us

Better than lm317?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by cjdelphi, Jun 8, 2015.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. cjdelphi

cjdelphi

Oct 26, 2011
    When the lm317 is in current mode, the vdrop is maintained at 1.5vish volts..

Is there a chip which has an even lower voltage drop? Sub 1v?

altafmirza988 likes this.
  2. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    USe your favorite search engine to find " low drop voltage regulators" (LDO).

3. cjdelphi

cjdelphi

Oct 26, 2011
    i was asking for personal experience. ... but yes i have looked

4. cjdelphi

cjdelphi

Oct 26, 2011
    Besides an ldo would not help i'm referring to the 1.5v drop across a resistor in current regulation not supply 4v higher in due to the forward drop

5. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    O.K., sorry, that wasn't clear to me from your post.

The voltage drop is given by the reference voltage that the regulator uses to set its output voltage (1.25V for the LM317 - that's what you should see across the resistor).
    An LT3007, for example, has 600mV reference voltage, therefore it should be suitable for a constant current regulator with only 600mV voltage drop across the resistor defining the current.

And to anticipate the question: no, I have no personal experience with this chip.

Ask a Question